Wyeast for Bass

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronos

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good Wyeast for a Bass that I am going to make, the recipe is from the Camra book 'Brew Your Own British Real Ale' (p135). I am going to bottle this brew.

If you want as close to the yeast for bass as you can and your happy to spend the money on liquid you might be better off forgeting about wyeast and phoning up brewlabs and tell them your making a bass clone and they'll be able to send to a yeast slant as close to the original bass yeast as possible. In fact they may even have the bass strain 'on file'. As from what I've read on forums they have hundreds, if not thousands of strains in stock. It wont be called 'bass strain' because of copy right or something but will be called somthing like 'East Staffordshire 1'

http://www.brewlab.co.uk/services/home-brew-yeast

What about culturing up some yeast from either Pedigree, which is now bottle conditioned, or White Shield, both obviously being brewed in Burton. Bass is now brewed by Marstons on contract so there might be a possible link.
Also Wyeast do a Burton Ale yeast WLP023 although at £7 a pop it looks a bit pricey unless you are going to re-use it several times.

What about culturing up some yeast from either Pedigree, which is now bottle conditioned, or White Shield, both obviously being brewed in Burton. Bass is now brewed by Marstons on contract so there might be a possible link.
Also Wyeast do a Burton Ale yeast WLP023 although at �£7 a pop it looks a bit pricey unless you are going to re-use it several times.

It's a shame brakspear stopped making their triple as that was bottle conditioned. The brakspear brewery is a Burton brewery and I think a close match for WLP023

Also Wyeast do a Burton Ale yeast WLP023 although at �£7 a pop it looks a bit pricey unless you are going to re-use it several times.

Careful with White Shield. The yeast used for the secondary fermentation in the botlle is an entirely different strain to the two used for the primary fermentation; it has pronounced wild yeast characteristics and would make a rather sour beer.

Back