Looks like a pellicle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Unkenly

Not a real doctor
Reaction score
I'm ready to keg my witbier but it has what looks like a pellicle on the top.

A milky white surface with a few large bubbles connected by white lines.

The beer tastes quite nice, actually just as I wanted it to, so I am tempted to package it in some mini kegs anyway.

I have a threefold question:

1. Is it possible that this is not an infection?

2. Is packaging infected beer a really dumb idea?

3. What kind of steps can I to take to eradicate any bugs from equipment which has been in contact with infected beer?

Did you dry hop?. That can cause an oily looking surface,can look worse if there are any yeast bits on top!
Shove a pic up,someone will soon tell you

You'll get films and skins on top of beers for a wide range of reasons. The vast majority of them are innocent. Also remember that as the yeast increase their numbers, they are better equipped to deal with other invaders! Additionally, the increasing levels of alcohol in the beer, coupled with hop oils, while also protect the beer. Infections at the end of a brew can happen, but it's much less likely than if they get a foothold early in the process.

If it tastes good, then it probably is good. If it's a pellicle (and it might be), then it might not be a bad thing. If it turns out to be lactobacillus or pediococcus, it'll probably add a bit of complexity to a wit.

I'd say package and enjoy. If, as it matures, you start to detect a slight souring in the background, then either let it go and enjoy a wild beer, or drink it up before it becomes too pronounced.

All that having been said, it sounds like a post-fermentation layer of scum to me. Nothing to worry about!

Thanks guys.

I moved the FV into the kitchen and the 'pellicle' has turned into a bunch of little white clumps. The airlock has started bubbling again (gravity was at a steady 1012) so I'll see what happens.

So, it's all fine I reckon. It remained looking like a bunch of little white yeast clumps and hop oils and not at all like a Google image search for 'pellicle' like it did initially.

Kegged it and the sample was tasting fantastic.

Latest posts

Back