APA - too much pressure in the barrel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you live and learn I guess.

I did try letting the beer out slowly but it was still flat when a full glass was poured.

So therefore it sounds like it's not been cold enough to condition properly.

First brew in years, so I'll just keep learning and show more patience I guess.

Thanks again folks.
To me, the temperatures are not the issue.

My first use of my PB was a Woodfordes Wherry back in December. 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks warm conditioning inside the PB at the same temperature. Two weeks (and beyond) cold conditioning in my garage, around 6C. My second attempt St Peter's Ruby Red, same principle, cold conditioning in my garage in March. Still going but clearly the ambient temperatures have been warmer and more varied, nearer 16c at the moment. In both cases, same annoying foaming issue no matter how carefully I poured.

Releasing some of the pressure inside the PB helped (not all, just some, and I did have to add more back with a CO2 capsule as it emptied) as did attaching tubing to the end of the tap. Perhaps the 'cheap' PB and/or tap has something to do with the end results but I concur with #puzzlemonk's description. The beer seems to end up quite flat.

Maybe 'flat' is not a totally accurate description and no doubt there is residual carbonation in what remains of the pour. In my view, the majority of the carbonation is lost through the foam into the ether in the same way a bottle of cola tastes flat if you vigorously shake the bottle then open. What remains after the initial gush tastes flat, even though there may be some carbonation.

To me, the temperatures are not the issue.

My first use of my PB was a Woodfordes Wherry back in December. 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks warm conditioning inside the PB at the same temperature. Two weeks (and beyond) cold conditioning in my garage, around 6C. My second attempt St Peter's Ruby Red, same principle, cold conditioning in my garage in March. Still going but clearly the ambient temperatures have been warmer and more varied, nearer 16c at the moment. In both cases, same annoying foaming issue no matter how carefully I poured.

Releasing some of the pressure inside the PB helped (not all, just some, and I did have to add more back with a CO2 capsule as it emptied) as did attaching tubing to the end of the tap. Perhaps the 'cheap' PB and/or tap has something to do with the end results but I concur with #puzzlemonk's description. The beer seems to end up quite flat.

Maybe 'flat' is not a totally accurate description and no doubt there is residual carbonation in what remains of the pour. In my view, the majority of the carbonation is lost through the foam into the ether in the same way a bottle of cola tastes flat if you vigorously shake the bottle then open. What remains after the initial gush tastes flat, even though there may be some carbonation.
Are you all confusing flat with lack of proper conditioning? I have Two KKs and don't get flat beer,a bit if foaming yep but for me that's normal with a PB.go cornie keg and its a whole different ball game

Are you all confusing flat with lack of proper conditioning? I have Two KKs and don't get flat beer,a bit if foaming yep but for me that's normal with a PB.go cornie keg and its a whole different ball game
Not conditioning. The gush is ample enough evidence of conditioning. A lack of fizz, so to speak, lost in the foamy discharge. The sort if fizz I get from my bottled beers.

Not conditioning. The gush is ample enough evidence of conditioning. A lack of fizz, so to speak, lost in the foamy discharge. The sort if fizz I get from my bottled beers.
But you won't get the sharpness of fizz from a PB like a bottled carbed homebrew beer,not even in a cornie keg,its called draught and if you like that sharp carbonation stick to bottles

Like I said earlier the level of carbonation is more like real ale level. That is to say hand pulled by beer engine. Pressure barrels are limited as to how much pressure they can contain. The pressure release valve limits this to stop the plastic barrel from splitting. As Godsdog says if you want sharp carbonation you need to bottle. Can't speak for cornies as I don't use them, but they should allow higher carbing levels than PBs, but with more complications and expense.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I personally don't like sharp fizzy beer even if I do drink them occasionally, shop bought and home bottling the 4 litre cornie keg excess,far too bloating on the gut for me

But you won't get the sharpness of fizz from a PB like a bottled carbed homebrew beer,not even in a cornie keg,its called draught and if you like that sharp carbonation stick to bottles
Precisely the conclusion I have reached which is why, as I have mentioned previously, it will be bottles only for me from now on. Just need to decide how to re purpose my PB...:hmm:

Precisely the conclusion I have reached which is why, as I have mentioned previously, it will be bottles only for me from now on. Just need to decide how to re purpose my PB...:hmm:

I like the pressure barrel level of carb using the tube to pour. Swmbo and my chief testers in work like the bottle carb level.
It's all about personal preference. Each to there own heh.

Latest posts

Back