Out of date ingredients still usable?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbierock

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post in a long time, I blame the house and the two young children.

I'm also new to brewing in general. I've made a Woodforde's Wherry and a Munton's Gold, and they turned out really well. I then got a Festival Ales Golden Stag Summer Ale but didn't have the time to make it up, and it's now a year or two out of date. Would it still be worth brewing it up, or should I bin it? It's all still sealed, ingredients and hops.

Thanks,

Robbie.

Hello everyone, this is my first post in a long time, I blame the house and the two young children.

I'm also new to brewing in general. I've made a Woodforde's Wherry and a Munton's Gold, and they turned out really well. I then got a Festival Ales Golden Stag Summer Ale but didn't have the time to make it up, and it's now a year or two out of date. Would it still be worth brewing it up, or should I bin it? It's all still sealed, ingredients and hops.

Thanks,

Robbie.

use it what have you got to loose , water?? you all ready have the kit make it up **** or bust i think it will be fine, You will need a new yeast , wilko ale yeast is fine:thumb:

Thanks,

Robbie.
the only issue you may have is the out of date yeast,but GO FOR IT,youve nothing to lose and if after a day or two it hasn't started to ferment trot down to your nearest wilkinsons store and pick up a packet of their yeast,maybe even get a packet before brewing it to keep ready if needed:thumb:

Get the ******* brewed, nothing to loose, switch out the yeast tho and you'll be ok

Instead of binning the yeast, make a starter the day before by sterilising a jar and then boiling some water along with some DME or LME. Let it cool and then add the yeast. Shake it every couple of hours and you'll be good to go after 12 or so hours.

I have Just brewed 2 beer kits and drunk them and both where good one was a John Bull IPA which was 15 Years beyond it sell bye Date !!! and the other was a Boots Stout which was 25 years beyond it sell by date. All I did was use new yeast. The John Ball was very nice indeed The Boots one was OK ( But we all know what Boots beer kits tasted like :nono:)

An oh so familiar tale though the kids have now spurred me on with brewing as I need I nice tasty beer at the end of a day with them :D

Bin the yeast and replace with a cross-my-loof sachet for £1.45 on ebay and the others here say it's even less if you have a facebook account and can buy it there. Other than that go for it.

Tinned stuff has a remarkable long lifetime as long as the tin integrity is not breached. When they found Captain Scott's supplies near the South Pole some of the tinned stuff was still edible years later although he didn't really have a good enough control of Temperature for brewing beer!

I know this is about kits but I often use grain that I have lying around for 12-18 months and beyond without any bad beer resulting from it, may be better with fresh but who knows?

Done a 2012 bbe Werry with new yeast (eventually!) Tastes as good as could be expected. In a tin lot of suger - no probs

Hi Everyone (Tanzanite, Godsdog, Pawlo7671, dps51, Glentoranmark, APINTA, Graz, foxbat, geetee, bomberns127, trummy...)

I've wanted to reply for days now - I want to thank you all for your encouragement. I've ordered a sachet of Nottingham yeast, which is apparently similar to Wilko's, and I'll buy 23l of mineral water in the next few days, and hopefully get it started soon!

Many Thanks - I'll let you know how it goes!

Robbie.

Hi Everyone (Tanzanite, Godsdog, Pawlo7671, dps51, Glentoranmark, APINTA, Graz, foxbat, geetee, bomberns127, trummy...)

I've wanted to reply for days now - I want to thank you all for your encouragement. I've ordered a sachet of Nottingham yeast, which is apparently similar to Wilko's, and I'll buy 23l of mineral water in the next few days, and hopefully get it started soon!

Many Thanks - I'll let you know how it goes!

Robbie.
Plenty of water in the taps you know:thumb::)

I have Just brewed 2 beer kits and drunk them and both where good one was a John Bull IPA which was 15 Years beyond it sell bye Date !!! and the other was a Boots Stout which was 25 years beyond it sell by date. All I did was use new yeast. The John Ball was very nice indeed The Boots one was OK ( But we all know what Boots beer kits tasted like :nono:)

Twenty Five years!?? What the hell did you get sent down for, the Brinks Matt robbery? :whistle:

Nah, the water around here is as hard as nails - if I leave a tap dripping overnight, I have to knock the stalactite off in the morning... Don't know what effect that would have on beer, but I'd rather get a spring water to brew with!

Most spring water contains minerals - Burton (on Trent) water is drawn from wells which is rich in gypsum and other minerals - in other word it is hard water- as will be your spring water probably. Treat the tap water for chlorine and get brewing !

Latest posts

Back