Porridge Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawlo7671

Regular.
Reaction score
What do you think to this :

2Kg pilsner malt
2kg Maris otter
250g black malt
250g roasted barley
1kg porridge oats

single hop addition ( any hops to bring it to around 40 IBU )

is just chucking the oats in with the mash ok or do i need to bugger about with them first ? also is 1kg a bit too much ?

Answers quick would be much appreciated as the grainfather is getting impatient.

Cheers

Pawlo

Oats go in as they are and amount sounds great, it's the same sort of stout I'll be doing tomorrow.

3kg Maris Otter
1kg Flaked Barley (but may go out and buy some oats now I've seen your recipe)
500g Black Barley (I don't like the roasted flavours so won't be using the Roast Barley)
100g Acid Malt (consider it next time as it gives the beer a Guinness like twang)

Same here with the hops, whatever I have in the fridge)

Putting it onto the trub of an Ale that's getting bottled tomorrow, (a Neales Ale Yeast)

This is my house stout, similar proportions to yours.

3kg Maris Otter
1kg Flaked Barley (but may go out and buy some oats now I've seen your recipe)
500g Black Barley (I don't like the roasted flavours so won't be using the Roast Barley)
100g Acid Malt (consider it next time as it gives the beer a Guinness like twang)

Same here with the hops, whatever I have in the fridge)

Putting it onto the trub of an Ale that's getting bottled tomorrow, (a Neales Ale Yeast)

This is my house stout, similar proportions to yours.

Cheers, its mashing away in the grainfather right now, smells like i'm baking bloody cookies. I did a Guinness Original clone 3 weeks ago and none of the recipe's asked for acid malt, hmm might be worth considering next time as I can see where your coming from.

Keep us posted on how this turns out. I done an oaty stout over a year ago and remember it was was one of my better brews. I didn't use the acidulated malt back then but I've used it in a few stouts since and it really does make a big difference. It will be interesting whether it works with the oats.

Yes, Pawlo's recipe is for 23, mine is more 19L. Just halve the ingredients and you'll have ballpark figures depending on what strength you want. Use a full packet of yeast though.

I set out to brew it to 20L but after a gravity reading of 1.063 ( around 6.5%abv ) I decided to water it down to 22L, the sample in the trial jar tasted great

I've used S-04 and S-05 in Stouts, my next brew is going on top of the trub of a Neales Ale Yeast I'm about to bottle.

Both S-04 and S-05 worked well btw but I think it's the malts that shine through in a stout, not the bitterness or yeast.

I've used S-04 and S-05 in Stouts, my next brew is going on top of the trub of a Neales Ale Yeast I'm about to bottle.

Both S-04 and S-05 worked well btw but I think it's the malts that shine through in a stout, not the bitterness or yeast.

The first stout I brewed had 04. This time I went for 05 as I had a few spare packs.
Really good stuff to make is stout, easy and rewarding

Latest posts

Back