Do you drink too much?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 bottle most nights, try and have 1 or 2 dry nights a week but don't really keep track. If I have a friend round for the weekend I may have 2 or 3. On the occasional Friday night in the pub it's 3 or 4, but that's my limit being quite the lightweight. :-)

Good question, I drink between 10-14 pints a week on average. Usually a Monday night beer to celebrate getting over the worst day of the week about 4 pints Friday on average, same Saturday and one pint on Sunday to see the weekend out.

With our endless home brew supplies, I exercise some restraint but not much. I just try to keep 2/3 nights a week beer free.

Mine is usually 3 bottles twice weekly and maybe a third night due too my shift pattern and boy does that screw with your system coming off night and then taking two bottles that night to find yourself half winged.
I did have a period where I was sitting up and getting wasted on just four bottles but I dont like brewing beer to find a low ABV so mine are usually 6/6.5 %.SWMBO was not happy so had to pull int the reighns after christmas,went on a diet as I had got to 13 stone 2lb which I have never been and have lost a stone.Quite pleased at the moment but can't to finish in the morning so I can get a drink tomorrow night.

Dry 4 days (Mon-Thu)
Drink 3 days (Fri-Sat-Sun)

Have always done loads of weights and running, but still found myself creeping up a stone with thirsty Thursday becoming the rule, rather than the exception.

Rained it in a month ago, over half way through the stone I put on. 4-5 dry days every week now.

Well a dry week starting as of now cos I'm on nights. As much as I hate nights they are my saviour from supping too much. Every cloud etc...

Does anyone else find it intriguing that us homebrewers ( with seemingly limitless supplies) exhibit such restraint, be it intentionally or naturally?

Yes I do, Sometimes I think with these surveys people are a bit reserved with the true amounts (I'm not targeting anyone!!!) I drink too much,of course I do, I make delicious beer for goodness sake,I'm not collecting stamps!
I had five beers last night,same on Sat,same on Friday ,probably two a night all week,will try and have a dry night or two but..........,

around 8 500ml bottles over the weekend and thats it. Probably still over government guidelines but they narrow them all the time.

I don't think it's strange that homebrewers tend to limit their drinking a bit. In fact, one of the reasons I brew is that I find better beers more satisfying, hence I drink less. I don't add sugar to my beers, I let the alcohol fall where it may.

As soon as I start to worry about it, I will emigrate to spain..

In spain its 35 units for a man compared to the 14 over here.

exactly!

The world health organisation said less than 35 and under = low risk
35 to under 53 = medium risk
53 and above = high risk

That was a few years ago. here's my thoughts on it... those who see a medical professional and are queried about their alcohol intake have been consistently under-reporting their intake around 40% many studies have found. OMG your liver is shot and you've only been drinking X units. when really you've been drinking 40% more? - so let's reduce the safe drinking limits by the same amount. Job done :grin:

I remember having 2 conflicting pieces of advice from mid-wives with our first baby, and I see this everywhere? - who do you believe?

clearly alcohol should be treated with respect, just like crossing the road and looking then you do, but it's your choice.

Our species ought to be renamed Homo Sapien Ltd. Limited on cigs, alcohol,calories,speed,special offers at the supermarket, how many paracetamol you can buy in one hit etc. WTF?!? Just ignore the lot.

Can't be bothered to work it out. Certainly more than I 'should' but not by too much. What I do drink too much of is coffee - I have chronic insomnia and spend most of the time carrying on like that tasmanian devil off the cartoons. Alcohol, nicotine and caffeine all to excess. Can't be good for one, what what?

Gunge my answer is YES I DO FUK EM

Latest posts

Back