Session IPA - summer beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to brew a summer session beer and am trying to work out a recipe. Thinking about 3.6-4.0% max. I want to do it in an IPA style; probably just using maris otter, munich/vienna and crystal malts. Hops TBD; but citrus/pepper springs to mind.

I want to make sure the beer has the body of an IPA but without the alcohol content. I read about mashing at a higher temp and/or using a lower attenuating yeast. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience of this?

Thanks in advance

Pacific Jade is a good hop for pepper notes, has been good in saisons for me for that reason. Combining it with something really citrussy would work.

I love munich in IPAs but for a session one I'd use vienna as it's lighter, or a lower percentage of munich. If you go for crystal I'd recommend nothing darker than caramalt, or something like carahell at 4% of grain bill.

I'd go for a higher mash temp in this case as it gives you more control than lower attenuating yeast which can be unpredictable, I'd defer to others with more IPA experience for mash temp but 67 C would certainly leave some body.

This is a nicely balanced grain bill for an IPA:

45% Marris Otter
45% Pilsner
5% Munich II (14ebc or similar)
5% Crystal (82ebc or similar)

4kg total grains should give you 4% assuming 23l batch size, mashed at 66-67 degrees centigrade.

You can thank me in 6 weeks when you're drinking it!

Mashed my session IPA in at 69C the other day. Will report back with results soon.

I brewed a session IPA a few weeks back using the grain bill:

87% Maris
5% Victory
5% Wheat
3% Crystal 15L

Can't say i can recall it being watery in any way. Head retention was a bit meh though, probably because it lacked hop punch and therefore hop oils.

Thanks for the advice. Have decided on the following

40 % Pilsner (thanks Spapro)
40 % Maris Otter
15 % Vienna
5 % Crystal

Mash at 68 C

15g Pacific Jade @ 60 mins (like Joel, I really like this hop and have been using it in my iPAs)
10 g Pacific Jade 20 g Motueka @ 5 mins
10 g Pacific Jade 35 g Motueka @ 0 mins

Will let you know how it turns out

Ok, so i missed my abv. Ended up at 4.6 % Not complaining though as this is probably the best beer i have made so far. Super smooth and light tasting with a subtle bitterness. Citrus and pepper flavours i wanted as well. Perfect for summer. Thanks for the advice all

The final recipe I went with (23 L) was

2 kg Pilsner
2 kg Maris Otter
0.75 kg Vienna
0.25 kg Crystal 30L

Mash at 68 C

15g Pacific Jade @ 60 mins

IBU was calculated by Beersmith at 41.4

I used WLP002 yeast.

Checking through my notes OG was 1.050 and FG was 1.014.

The final recipe I went with (23 L) was

2 kg Pilsner
2 kg Maris Otter
0.75 kg Vienna
0.25 kg Crystal 30L

Mash at 68 C

15g Pacific Jade @ 60 mins

IBU was calculated by Beersmith at 41.4

I used WLP002 yeast.

Checking through my notes OG was 1.050 and FG was 1.014.

Sounds great, not used those hops, will have to look them up.

Back