Bottom fermenting and secondary fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamthefly

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying my first AG lager, a Vienna as it happens.

I'm concerned that, because I'm using a bottom fermenting yeast, if I rack to secondary too soon I'll leave too much yeast behind and if I don't, crud at the bottom might flavour my lager. Please read on for more details.

I Hydrated 2 packs of Mangrove Jacks Bohemian Lager yeast and pitched into 16L at 12C. It took 4 days for fermentation to kick off. This is a sluggish fungi. Now on day 8 (so 4 days after first signs of fermentation), the krausen has sunk, the top has a few big bubbles on it and it smells beery. Should I rack to secondary yet? It's biab so there was some haze went in. Gravity was only 1.038 because of some technical issues, but I prefer lower alc beers anyway.

Please advise.

Thanks.

I wouldn't rush taking it off the yeast, give it time to clean up and finish off with a diacetyl rest

I wouldn't rush taking it off the yeast, give it time to clean up and finish off with a diacetyl rest

OK thanks. How hot and how long should I give it for the diacetyl rest?

What's the deal with secondary fermentation then if it's already fermented out? I went and ordered a second bucket and everything...

Thanks

The term "bottom fermenting yeast" is misleading. Lager yeast does tend to migrate towards the bottom and ale yeast does migrate up, but the actual fermenting is done by yeast that is still in suspension.

The diacetyl rest is important on lagers. It takes longer so read up on it. I've heard pro brewers raising the temp up after the initial fermentation has slowed. They say it helps the yeast go after all the mess. After a week of that, they lower it back and transfer to secondary then leave it for 6 to 8 weeks. But this is just me passing on this information. I haven't jumped full into lagers yet but will soon. Just found out my wife's uncle runs a vegetable shop in the city and has 3 very large walk in coolers that are set at 6 degrees! He said I can use as much space as I want. Looks like lagers are coming up this winter!

Latest posts

Back