The seal is broken !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
Using the super How To Simple AG guide I followed the @clibit recipe and guide for making my first attempt BIAB.

Initial thoughts :

- How simple and systematic is this ?
- What a lovely range of smells !
- Who'd have thought that little bag of goodies could generate such a sweet juicy liquid !
- I really need to keep the kitchen tidier during the session
- It makes for a really sticky floor so a mop is essential !

Started at 4:30
Final FV went into brew fridge at 10.

At 5:30 hours probably not the quickest !

OG was 1060 which was higher than expected . Any idea why ? Or is this normal ?

Had to top to 10l with 1L of water at the end. Any thoughts to why ?

Other than that ... Yeast in and can't wait for my first taste next month [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OG was 1060 which was higher than expected . Any idea why ? Or is this normal ?

Had to top to 10l with 1L of water at the end. Any thoughts to why ?

Was the 1060 gravity taken after you added the water? If not then you'll have boiled off more water than expected, leaving a higher gravity, lower volume brew. And by watering it down you'll have corrected that.

As for the timing, you'll maybe be able to knock an hour or so off it, but a lot of the timings are fairly fixed. For example an hour mash, an hour boil, plus the time that it takes to heat the water up can't really be shortened. I always find the time it takes to get the wort up to the boil the most infuriating. Even though I've taken to having the hob on while I sparge over my big pan.

Was the 1060 gravity taken after you added the water? If not then you'll have boiled off more water than expected, leaving a higher gravity, lower volume brew. And by watering it down you'll have corrected that.

Hi - no the OG was taken after I topped to 10l.

Well, day 3... we have a froth on top and some life inside so clearly doing things.
I'm so excited about tasting this and already planning my 2nd AG... albeit little steps [emoji106]

Welcome to the dark side......... you will be dreaming of stainless steel fittings and pans before you realize it !!!
Nah, I dream of a new plastic fv on a regular basis. I reckon I have 10 years of brewing in me... Tops. So SS isn't good use of my funds. Better for me to spend on more hops :thumb:

Nah, I dream of a new plastic fv on a regular basis. I reckon I have 10 years of brewing in me... Tops. So SS isn't good use of my funds. Better for me to spend on more hops :thumb:

I'm thinking along the same lines... unfortunately. And well done with the first brew pvt. Something which may seem a little intimidating at first soon becomes routine, that's why we're all mad experimenters at heart - to stave off the boredom of repetition!

Just tested SG and at 1014 so fermenting nicely. Had a sneaky taste , and I'm well impressed.
Tastes like a traditional Bitter and no hint of the dreaded kit home brew twang.

Oh AG where have you been all my life ?

I'm only used to wine and ciders.

When I hit 1010 do you typically bottle or do you rack off add finings and wait another week ?

Latest posts

Back