Finings in wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy79

Reaction score
Hi I appear to have finings in a batch of red wine I bottled 2 weeks ago. There is a salty taste and the last glass from the bottle is cloudy and in others the whole bottle is cloudy. Can this be saved? Should I try straining through muslin cloth...any advice would be much appreciated.

I would probably try lowering the temp as much as possible to see if it settles to the bottom.
You could then carefully siphon and rebottle if that's what you want.
You could even filter it.

Hi I appear to have finings in a batch of red wine I bottled 2 weeks ago. There is a salty taste and the last glass from the bottle is cloudy and in others the whole bottle is cloudy. Can this be saved? Should I try straining through muslin cloth...any advice would be much appreciated.

I think you mean sediment?

Finings are used to get the sediment to clump together and drop out of the wine. They're usually added after fermentation has finished to get a clear wine prior to bottling. You do still have to be careful though when bottling as it's possible to stir it up again.

The sediment itself is therefore perhaps not unusual but the salty taste is a bit odd.

First option is to let your wine bottle stand upright for a few days before drinking then carefully decant the wine before drinking leaving any remaining sediment in the bottle, you'll lose about half an inch to an inch of wine from the bottle depending as to how careful you are.

You could try straining it though I'm not sure a muslin would do much as the sediment is quite fine. You could try a paper coffee filter.

Final option is to carefully pour the whole lot back into a clean demijohn / fermenter to which you might want to add a campden tablet to prevent further oxidation. The add some more finings (I use Kwik Klear) according to the instructions, wait for it to clear and re-bottle (carefully!).

Might help us if you told us what wine it was (aside from it being red) and the process you followed when making it / bottling it?

Thank you, the wine is Cellar 7 cabernet sauvignon. Unlike instructions I siphoned the wine twice firstly from the bucket with tap into secondary container, and then back into bucket with tap after clearing before bottling direct from the tap. This worked ok with the previous Cellar 7 chardonnay...more difficult to see when racking reds I could have disturbed the sediment with auto siphon. Anyway will try leaving the bottles a few days and try decanting carefully if no better will put whole lot back in fermentor.....thanks for advice!

I bottled a Beaverdale Pinot Noir today and had a bit of a mad moment with the last two bottles, stirring up sediment. Left these upright since this morning and both have already settled out nicely. Will just need decanting.

Latest posts

Back