wyeast 3333

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
Get er brweed called me today to inform me the whitelabs yeast I ordered turns out they haven't got any and said I could substitue for this

I had a quick look and thought what the hell.

Anyone used / tried it? any recommendations ect??

It does say specifically do not over pitch it as a risk to reducing the esters, so if its a smack pack I may just swell it or make a small starter.

Is it a good cropper?

I found this if its any use -

Wyeast 3333 German Wheat Beer Yeast
YST-WYST-3333

A highly flocculent German wheat beer strain that is the perfect choice for use in Kristallweizen. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics similar to the popular Wyeast 3068. However, this strain will sediment rapidly, resulting in bright beer without filtration.

The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning.

General Info

Flocculation: High
Attenuation: 70-76%
Temperature Range: 63-75F, 17-24C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

Styles:

Kristallweizen
German Hefe-Weizen
Weizen/Weissbier
Dunkelweizen
Weizenbock

Review TexasBru

Have used this six times. Twice each to make kristallweizen, kristalldunkelweizen, and kristallweizenbock. Less banana notes than 3068 at all temps and is a huge H2S producer so give it plenty of time in the primary. Does make a clear weizen given a little time in either bottle or keg. Having used this several times still slightly prefer 3068 (or equivalent) because of banana notes which I like. But if you like your weizen clear and with less banana, then this is a good choice.

Back