flame out hops..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Just some clarification please....hopefully brewing tomorrow. .a partial mash version of greg hughes American wheat. Recipe adds hops at end of boiling, 0 minutes. Do I just bung em in at the end and until I get the wort down to temp? They'll be in a mesh filter sock...along with the start of boiling addition.

Cheers

Clint

The generic method seems to be wait 10mins after flameout for the wort to cool to 80C or less (so that you don't extract extra bittering from the hops that are about to go in), then add the hops and leave them in for 30mins, then start your main cooling process.

That's what I do.

People have varying methods some bung them in as soon as the gas goes off

I do pretty much what darrell does, the chillers already in -15mins from flame out so when teh flame does go out the chiller goes on for a few mins.. at 80 chiller goes off bung in the flame out hops lid on leave for 20-30 mins chiller back on and then transfer wort when near pitching.

This is what I did at the weekend for the same beer, chucked a lot more hops in thou lol. 100g in total !

I've never been comfortable with holding the wort temperature off boiling but above about 70-80C because you're still in the SMM to DMS conversion range but it's not boiling off any more. Probably not an issue unless you're using an extra-pale/pilsner malt but if I have a 1 or 0 minute addition then I chuck it in and leave it in while cooling as quickly as possible which still takes me 30 minutes with my immersion chiller. Dry hopping seems to be the better way to get your hop flavour and aroma anyway.

My thinking is flame out is exactly that add as soon as you turn off the heat and coll as normal, if a recipe wants you to cool to 80C then add it would be called a steep or whirlpool addition not a flame out addition.

My thinking is flame out is exactly that add as soon as you turn off the heat and coll as normal, if a recipe wants you to cool to 80C then add it would be called a steep or whirlpool addition not a flame out addition.

That's what I do - chuck the buggers in at the moment the off switch is flicked ( though you need long arms for this), then cooling commences immediately. 'Flame out' - exactly what it sez on the tin, or whatever you keep your flame outs in. Though technically it's not a flame in my case, it's an electric current but that's just splitting more hairs....!

Ok....I take it they are aroma addition....
As for the brewing ......pah! The gestapo headquarters informed me earlier I have a school sports day to attend and then I'm on nights so it will have to wait....

Cheers

Clint

Any hops added between 20 mins and 0 mins will add flavour, aroma and some bitterness, but the later they are more aroma and less bitterness. For pure aroma dry hop after fermentation but the aroma will fade as the beer ages.

I tend to chuck in flame out hops when the heat goes off. Then I let them steep for 20 minutes before cooling.

I tend to bung them in at flameout and give them a 10 minute steep before cooling as quick as I can. If they're pellets, though, I find this doesn't work. I get a big increase in bitterness from pellets so I cool to 80C first. This only take a minute or 2. I then add the pellets and continue to cool. They're so finely divided that the flavour seems to come out very quickly.

I'm brewing AG#96 now and have just looked at my record book. My last version of this brew has a much fresher "late hopped" flavour than I'm used to from the same recipe. I notice that what I did differently was to only steep for 5 minutes, rather than 10, with Chinook leaf hops at flameout. So for me the change is just what I wanted. I think I've taught myself something there!

Latest posts

Back