Manchester attack: 22 dead and 59 hurt in suicide bombing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Teresa May can repeatedly tell us that we will not let terrorists win but i wonder what her thoughts would be today if like me her son who together with many of his friends have a ticket for Kendal calling this July.

Kendal Calling is an independent music festival held annually at Lowther Deer Park in the Lake District, Cumbria. It has grown from a two-day, 900 capacity event in 2006 to a 12,000 capacity three-day music festival. Wikipedia

Twenty-two people, including children, have been killed and 59 injured in a suicide attack at Manchester Arena.
The blast happened in the foyer at 22:35 BST on Monday at the end of a concert by US singer Ariana Grande.
Police said the lone male attacker, who died in the blast, detonated a homemade bomb.

_96171772_shutterstock_editorial_8828037c_large.jpg

All I can say is Poland stand by your decision, whatever threats you receive from Merkel and her EU bullies.

Terrorist attacks in Poland = 0

The next attack (and there will be one; tomorrow, next year, whenever) could happen anywhere. At your local bus-stop, train station or shopping centre. They won't win, but more lives will undoubtedly be ruined before they finish. Our security services are the best in the world and it's incredibly hard to plan an attack like the Manchester one without being picked up and it will be very interesting to see how this attack was put together.

Was the bomb brought into the country?

Had he been abroad to learn how to make it?

Did he learn in this country? Is there a 'bomb instructor' on the loose?

'bomb instructor' on the loose yes on the internet
one day this may stop but I don't think it will be in my lifetime sadly
also you may find they will say 9 out of 10 time they have been watching this person that did this
just like the last London attack

'bomb instructor' on the loose yes on the internet
one day this may stop but I don't think it will be in my lifetime sadly
also you may find they will say 9 out of 10 time they have been watching this person that did this
just like the last London attack

The bomb instructions on the internet are not great (luckily) and searching for them gets the Security Service on your tail more quickly than throwing bricks at Thames House. No one who seriously wanted to carry out an attack would risk this, at least not now.

On the radar and sufficient information for a stop aren't the same thing. There are 1000s on the radar, but they can't all be picked up and watching them has to be prioritised on a perceived risk basis. Clearly this can't be right 100% of the time, sadly.

..........and your point is, what else is she expected to say ???

My point is they are winning and everyone knows it does she really think us plebs are so thick we haven't sussed that out? i wonder how many parents of the the 12000 plus ticket holders for Kendal calling like me and SWMBO are today wishing they had sold out the day their kids booked.

I sometimes wish this beer forum didn't have this 'snug' bit !!

If you read the forum description it says "This is the place for all non brewing chat" many members post here why should it be removed just because you do not like certain topics, no one forces you visit!

..........and your point is, what else is she expected to say ???

I sometimes wish this beer forum didn't have this 'snug' bit !!

Sorry bud but that's a daft comment, just don't click on anything you don't like

On a side note,maybe its just me but it sounds like she is just trotting out a scribbled note from an advisor,she has zero personality and many people find it hard to believe a word she says, maybe cruel but that's my take on her

Teresa May can repeatedly tell us that we will not let terrorists win but i wonder what her thoughts would be today if like me her son who together with many of his friends have a ticket for Kendal calling this July.

_96171772_shutterstock_editorial_8828037c_large.jpg

Chippy I would be terrified as well, my 16 yr old daughter went to see Drake ? And I was worried.
There's no stopping these nut jobs

My point is they are winning and everyone knows it does she really think us plebs are so thick we haven't sussed that out? i wonder how many parents of the the 12000 plus ticket holders for Kendal calling like me and SWMBO are today wishing they had sold out the day their kids booked.

Yes they are winning and I cannot see how it can be stopped. Someone said it's very hard to plan an attack, the police are on to them etc etc but what's to stop someone thinking right I'm gonna strap a bomb to myself and blow hundreds up whilst I'm at it? I'm sure that learning how to make and use such a device isn't restricted to the internet, where the authorities may or may not have their ears pricked! On the contrary, I believe it would be very easy for someone who had the intent and the resolve to do it.

Chippy I would be terrified as well, my 16 yr old daughter went to see Drake ? And I was worried.
There's no stopping these nut jobs

Its a couple of months away and although highly unlikely it will be a target watching the news today fills me with dread.

How long before football stadiums become a target?

Whilst I fully understand people's desire to protect their children, it's important to remember how terrorism gets it name. Fear is disproportional to the risk. As someone who grew up near Manchester and Warrington in the 90s I don't see things as being worse, just different.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Thanks to hooliganism Football stadiums would be a hard target, even at my non-league club bags get searched on entry, and at Wembley on sunday I got a full frisk. Security is pretty tight and that's just clubs stopping booze getting into grounds.

Thanks to hooliganism Football stadiums would be a hard target, even at my non-league club bags get searched on entry, and at Wembley on sunday I got a full frisk. Security is pretty tight and that's just clubs stopping booze getting into grounds.

Good point but at the end of the game when fans are leaving they could wipe out hundreds.

Yes they are winning and I cannot see how it can be stopped. Someone said it's very hard to plan an attack, the police are on to them etc etc but what's to stop someone thinking right I'm gonna strap a bomb to myself and blow hundreds up whilst I'm at it? I'm sure that learning how to make and use such a device isn't restricted to the internet, where the authorities may or may not have their ears pricked! On the contrary, I believe it would be very easy for someone who had the intent and the resolve to do it.

They are not winning. This is attrition not a win or lose battle or war, the point of terrorism is to be a nuisance, an ever present threat and decentralised so you cannot hit back at any one place or group. Once you accept that there will be times they will have an impact such as Paris and Manchester that does not mean they have won, they just got through 1 in a 100 times. the world is slowly reducing the ISIS threat but may never reduce it to zero

As much as I dislike Theresa May and the Tories there is not much more they can say except we will never bow to them and give in. Where would we hit back and even if we attack a group or a country sympathisers/ lone wolfs, or even copycats will still operate in revenge. All countries and leaders have to maintain the same mantra, like it or not what more does anyone want them to do? We cannot resort to Trumpism and demonise certain groups or countries or you just radicalise even more people and fan the flames.

I, like many others of a certain age, grew up in what many look back on as 'better times'. We had the cold war, the threat of nuclear war, the Russians and a host of other bogeymen that regularly came out of the closet. Living in London (just like many other cities) there were regular IRA attacks on a huge range of targets.

Since then those who terrorise have changed, some have gone away and come back, but the key issue remains: you just have to get on with things and hope you or your loved ones aren't 'unlucky'. Ever since the dawn of time there's never really been a peaceful era, and there probably won't ever be.

Theresa May or any other leader can't stop it, and worrying about it won't stop it either. We can't live in lockdown, nor would we want to. The terrorists won't win; they never do. More people will die, more terrorists will be eradicated, and it will go on ad nauseum.

The only thing most of us can do is dust ourselves down and go about our business.

Its a couple of months away and although highly unlikely it will be a target watching the news today fills me with dread.

How long before football stadiums become a target?

My son lives in Paris and worked in the next street to the Charlie Hebdo attacks. When something happens I automatically think of him and confirm he is safe but realistically the chances of being in a terror attack are less than getting hit by a car and we still cross roads daily.

Anywhere and anyone could be a target, it has not stopped me travelling to Paris as it is extremely unlikely that "it will be me this time". It may well be but I refuse to live with that fear allowing it to stop my normal activity, once you start doing that they really have won.

Making a bomb that goes off when (and only when) you want it to is not easy, and there is a very limited number people in the country who know how to do it. The authorities know who most, if not all, of these people are. If you decided that you wanted to make one there's every chance that you'd end up contacting one of these people, whose communications are monitored. Bingo, you're on the radar.

The chance of being caught up in a particular attack at a particular location remains very very low, so we shouldn't worry unduly. Be alert, report anything untoward but don't over-react.

The next attack (and there will be one; tomorrow, next year, whenever) could happen anywhere. At your local bus-stop, train station or shopping centre. They won't win, but more lives will undoubtedly be ruined before they finish. Our security services are the best in the world and it's incredibly hard to plan an attack like the Manchester one without being picked up and it will be very interesting to see how this attack was put together.

Was the bomb brought into the country?

Had he been abroad to learn how to make it?

Did he learn in this country? Is there a 'bomb instructor' on the loose?

Home grown my friend the country is full of them, Religion is the cancer of the world, the difference being Religion is invented rubbish to control the people, both can kill you. Can you really blame groups like the BNP and vigilante groups, things like this feed them, can you blame gangs of our young men going out and burning a few mosques on a friday when its full of people worshiping . Because this is what it will come to.

Religion does cause massive problems I'm a Christian but each to their own, I certainly would never kill for it.
Religion and politics, this thread may not end well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back