BrewDog Vermont IPA V2.0

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRock

Reaction score
Finally got my first brewday of the year in on Sunday now that the garage is back in action and not full of the contents of the house.

This was BrewDog Vermont IPA V2.0 and using some yeast that I'd grown up from some bottles of the BrewDog/Cloudwater New England IPA a couple of months ago.

See http://www.brewdog.com/diydog for the recipe (and many more)

I think there's a typo in the recipe as there's no way to hit the OG of 1066 with that malt bill, so I used Brewers Friend with 75% efficiency and adjusted the Pale Ale Propino weight until I got to the OG, which ended up being 4.1KG (from 3.3KG), before adjusting for my own needs doing a smaller batch of 12L BIAB style.
With the adjusted recipe I hit my numbers bang on.

As I "no chill" I wouldn't be pitching the yeast until the next day, so decided to use some some of the actual wort for the yeast starter instead of DME. This would allow the starter to get going for around 24 hours and I would pitch the whole starter after work the following day.

I took off some of the wort and diluted it down to end up with 2.3L of 1040 SG wort, to end up with 2L to pitch and some to keep in a jar for next time, this was my first time using a starter so we'll see how it goes.

I pitched the yeast last night and it looked like it was off and running this morning so fingers crossed!

I plan to split the dry hop in 2 and do half tomorrow (day 2) and the other half on day 7.

Mash In.jpg

Mash Out.jpg

Hops.jpg

Hops2.jpg

Boil.jpg

Yeast.jpg

Starter.jpg

Transfer to fermenter.jpg

Temp control.jpg

Temp control2.jpg

Well that escalated quickly!

I went to do the first dry hop last night, approx 50 hours after pitching and the krausen had already dropped. It was still there in the morning when I checked.

A rough & ready refractometer reading confirmed it had dropped from 1.066 to around 1.020 or thereabouts.

So I may have missed the boat with this one, as I was hoping to catch it while fermentation was still quite active, but I'll continue as planned with the second dry hop at 7 days, cold crash at 10 days and see what happens.

Hi, did you adjust the recipe for no chill?

I've done a few no chill brews and haven't quite got the bittering right so would be interested in your approach.

Cheers!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hi, did you adjust the recipe for no chill?

I've done a few no chill brews and haven't quite got the bittering right so would be interested in your approach.

Cheers!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I don't make any adjustments now and I haven't noticed any problems.

I did mess around with hop timings on a few brews, by delaying them for 20 minutes from the recipe, but I've gone back to just following the recipe as I didn't think it was an improvement.

At flameout I add the hops and leave it to stand for about 30 minutes and then transfer to the HDPE plastic water container. I find that by the time I'm transferring it's already dropped to between 80°C and 90°C and then once in the water container on the garage floor it drops a fair bit.
Most times I could probably pitch before going to bed, depending on when I finished the brew, but if I'm busy I'll do it the next day.

Before I got the water container I used to just leave the brew in the kettle with the lid on and some cling film to seal and that took a lot longer to cool down.

I reckon that the professionals must take a fair while to cool down and transfer a large batch for pitching even with whirlpooling, chilling and whatever else they use, so me taking half an hour or so to get below the magic 80°C probably isn't doing much harm.

I bottled & mini-kegged this 12 days after pitching.

I sampled a bottle a week later and it already tasted great so ended up getting through quite a few that day with friends at a BBQ, this is definitely one to be drank young.

I'm a big fan of this style at the moment, so I'll definitely be doing something like this again.

IMG_20170614_215821.jpg

Back