Pick your fave 5 hops and i will try making a single hop brew with them

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Personal91

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening all

After seeing a few single hop brews I was hoping to do it myself. I'd like to get a 25kg bag of pale malt eg marries otter and do 5+ brews from it all with the hops you suggest/pick

I have only done 1 AG brew so far so if you lovely formites could help me to get these recipes ready I'd like to be able to order 2moz or the day after so I can brew at the weekend or early next week,

If you could can you mention the flavours of the hops you have picked as well

It's a big ask i know but been away from brewing for a while and want to get back to it :D

Thanks in advance lads n ladetts

I have a pale ale on the go and only used Citra. This time i missed the 60m addition and did it at 15,5 and flameout. Had a sample today and its full of flavour. Going to try this next with Chinook, Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin and probably Galaxy.

Citra Pale Ale

60m boil
10l batch
2kg Maris Otter
100g crystal Rye

protofloc @15
20g Citra @15
20g Citra @5
20g Citra @0
dry hopped with 20g Citra

I have a pale ale on the go and only used Citra. This time i missed the 60m addition and did it at 15,5 and flameout. Had a sample today and its full of flavour. Going to try this next with Chinook, Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin and probably Galaxy.

Citra Pale Ale

60m boil
10l batch
2kg Maris Otter
100g crystal Rye

protofloc @15
20g Citra @15
20g Citra @5
20g Citra @0
dry hopped with 20g Citra

I would be doing a 23-25 litre batch so obviously times the grain bill by 2.5 but do I do the same for the hops aswell ?

Amarillo - Super citrusy
Galaxy - Lots of tropical fruits
Centennial - The "super-cascade", classic American hop
Mosaic - A singular hop, and I get berries from it
EKG - nowhere near as pungent as the others, but the classic British floral hop aroma is lovely

Amarillo - Super citrusy
Galaxy - Lots of tropical fruits
Centennial - The "super-cascade", classic American hop
Mosaic - A singular hop, and I get berries from it
EKG - nowhere near as pungent as the others, but the classic British floral hop aroma is lovely

How does EKG compare to Saaz hops fOr floral flavour ?

I ask as I did a bitter kit can and didn't like it so dry hopped in primary with some SAAZ hops and liked he floral taste when I had a test pint, when I went to bottle the next day it wasn't so pungent so made up a generous hop tea of 40+ grams and got that going in another barrel ( not hot but not boiling water as not to displace the hop oils ) which I then added to the bottling barrel once I had bottled roughly half and it's really lush - really florally

Ps. I was using whole hops not pellets

How does EKG compare to Saaz hops fOr floral flavour ?

I ask as I did a bitter kit can and didn't like it so dry hopped in primary with some SAAZ hops and liked he floral taste when I had a test pint, when I went to bottle the next day it wasn't so pungent so made up a generous hop tea of 40+ grams and got that going in another barrel ( not hot but not boiling water as not to displace the hop oils ) which I then added to the bottling barrel once I had bottled roughly half and it's really lush - really florally

Ps. I was using whole hops not pellets

I've never used Saaz, so I've only got Pilsner Urquell and Budìjovice Budweiser to go on, and they probably don't dry hop with it.

I find a lot of hops don't have the complexity to work by themselves,and even commercial examples either fall flat in terms of flavour or they aren't truly smashs and they use other hops to add complexity.

Having said that, I find these work well as single hops:

Sorachi ace is a complex hop with a lot of flavours going on, also has a very unique taste.
Cascade - pretty obvious but it is a powerhouse of a hop.
Polaris - might be better in stouts but is a complex hop. Eucalyptus, citrus and some mint, and very high AA%s.
Summit has worked well for me as a single hop - citrus, spice and floral.

I have used these hops as a single hop but they would work best with a saison or Belgian style yeast to add something a bit extra to the brew
Boadicea - very floral and earthy
Calypso - pine and floral
Jester - earthy, dark fruits (smells way nicer than it actually is, but still a nice hop)

I find a lot of hops don't have the complexity to work by themselves,and even commercial examples either fall flat in terms of flavour or they aren't truly smashs and they use other hops to add complexity.

I agree with this. I often find the first pint is quite nice and then I start to feel the hoppy taste is horribly unbalanced and there's something missing.

Some of my faves:

Simcoe - Dank, citrus
Equinox - Tropical, passion fruit
Mosaic - Tropical, mango
Amarillo - Tangerine
Nelson Sauvin - Fruit salad, grape

I would be doing a 23-25 litre batch so obviously times the grain bill by 2.5 but do I do the same for the hops aswell ?

Yes that would be fine. You could do a full mash and split the wort to do separate boils with different hops as well. I may do that next time. Here is the recipe i used. Swap the crystal rye for normal crsytal or leave it out and do a SMASH. I used crossmyloof US pale ale yeast fermented @20c. IanM suggestions for hops are good, will have to try them out as well. Making my mouth water.

Lek161.jpg

In no order,
Challenger,mainly for bittering but have used them late as well(love em)
Chinook
Cascade
Styrian Goldings,seem to have a somewhat slight fruity edge(to me anyway:lol:)
Fuggles
May be of some help-
Varieties - YCH HOPS

Back