Best Yeast For Dry Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always keep Safale SO4 handy and have used it for dry stouts with some success.

I love the smell of mashing in the morning.

+1 Gervin/Nottingham will work great unless you want to use an expensive liquid yeast. SO4 is fine but won't finish as dry and the sediment won't sick to the bottom as well.

As a bit of a curve ball, you could try a dry Belgian/Abbey yeast at the lower end of its fermentation temp range. It'll chew through the wort, adding a little more dry fruit character than s05 or notty.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

+1 Gervin/Nottingham will work great unless you want to use an expensive liquid yeast. SO4 is fine but won't finish as dry and the sediment won't sick to the bottom as well.
I use So4 for my stouts and find it's a solid compact in the fermenter as well as the bottles 😋

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I meant to put a stout on last weekend but was pushed for time so it will be this Saturday. It's going onto the trub of a Neales Ale Yeast so I'll be able to take notes how it goes.

I've done a few stouts but always pitched them with S-04 and S-05. S-04 tends to work slightly better but I didn't notice much taste wise.

As a bit of a curve ball, you could try a dry Belgian/Abbey yeast at the lower end of its fermentation temp range. It'll chew through the wort, adding a little more dry fruit character than s05 or notty.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Well, that is a thought. I have 2 or 3 bottles of re-used Mangrove Jack 31, which is a Belgian yeast and has attenuated down to about 1.003. That would be dry.

US 05 would be my go-to, as is so often the case. My house is just too warm for Nottingham, but is OK for US 05 or Coopers yeast in the summer as well as the Belgians.

As many on the Forum know and have posted, Coopers yeast ferments too quickly for a stout to be a good idea in warm weather, that is, without the headroom in the Coopers fermenter or a blow-off tube.

Latest posts

Back