Dry Yeast Pitching Rate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we all need to start ending paragraphs with 'LOL'.
Especially when contributing to the snug.

Do as you wish - I'm not bothered. Wonder why the sellers would rather you use 2 though? 30-odd years of using one pack with a zero failure rate tells me they're fibbing, but hey you're paying them not me.

Me too gunge i only use one pack never had problems been brewing nearly 40years, if you was selling something and could get people to buy double every time your laughing, i reuse yeast too , just took a 30ltr Oktoberfest lager off a WLP820 Oktoberfest yeast, i had two Woodfords Sundew kits i bought mega cheap in the Tesco sale so i used all 6kg of the malt from both kits and fired it back onto the WLP820 yeast. I made up to 30ltr, will stick 50g of Hallertau in, a few days before end of ferment and make a Marzen type malty beer with a hint of hops. bottle and condition until August then test, might even leave until October.

Without going off and looking it up myself (too idle/tired/irritable at the mo) do pitching rates only apply to liquid yeasts which have a much smaller yeast count than dried? I mean, with dried you use one or two packs and that's that.

Gunge if i use liquid yeast i just fire it in out the packet , straight after adding the cold water to the wort , stick the lid on and bobs your uncle never had any probs , i make some cracking beer , and lager, got around twenty types in my bottling plant around 800 bottles on a rolling stock and 300 Bottle wine rack , and not a bottle on there from a kit.:thumb:

being one of those luddites who still hasn't sorted a fridge. Gonna be a fruity one, methinks.

I'm not one for spending lots of dosh on brewing kit, but the brew fridge is difinitely worth the money/space investment IMO, and partly why I'm happy to chuck 2 packs of yeast in a strong brew - I'm not a big fan of fruity yeast flavours so usually start all my brews a degree C or two below the lower end of the recommended range and hope that the extra yeast along with the low temp will result in a mild/neutral yeast flavour.
Completey failed in this regard with my recent SMASH brew, but I was on generation 4 of a liquid yeast that I'd saved each time by overbuilding starters and keeping some back, so I'm blaming the yeast :whistle:

Me too gunge i only use one pack never had problems been brewing nearly 40years, if you was selling something and could get people to buy double every time your laughing, i reuse yeast too , just took a 30ltr Oktoberfest lager off a WLP820 Oktoberfest yeast, i had two Woodfords Sundew kits i bought mega cheap in the Tesco sale so i used all 6kg of the malt from both kits and fired it back onto the WLP820 yeast. I made up to 30ltr, will stick 50g of Hallertau in, a few days before end of ferment and make a Marzen type malty beer with a hint of hops. bottle and condition until August then test, might even leave until October.

You sound every bit as mean and astute as me. D'you know, I'm still using the same yeast which I cultivated from a single cell taken from my belly button about 35 years ago? Gonna give it a wacky name like navel nectar and flog it to the craft ale mob who can then sell it at fifteen quid for 330ml. I'll take 25% thanks.

You sound every bit as mean and astute as me. D'you know, I'm still using the same yeast which I cultivated from a single cell taken from my belly button about 35 years ago? Gonna give it a wacky name like navel nectar and flog it to the craft ale mob who can then sell it at fifteen quid for 330ml. I'll take 25% thanks.

Why dont you cross it with my fore skin scrape stain to make a F1 hybrid. It give a very fast multiplication from one cell to a large blob in around 30 seconds it has been known to mix with the belly button strains in the wild , but no one has harvested this mixed strain.

Why dont you cross it with my fore skin scrape stain to make a F1 hybrid. It give a very fast multiplication from one cell to a large blob in around 30 seconds it has been known to mix with the belly button strains in the wild , but no one has harvested this mixed strain.

Glad to see that the 70 years of brewing experience between you is leading to some insightful words of wisdom, and furthers the discussion for all of our benefit :thumb:

Back