1st attempt at kegging and carbing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I'm trying... I might have to go and give it another blast just to be on safe side.. :) I guess any o2 will be sat at top of co2 and just blast out??
I just know I'm gonna spoil this beer somehow :( and I paid for it not brewed by me so that's 45 quid down the drain .. that's the painful part..

Yeah I'm trying... I might have to go and give it another blast just to be on safe side.. :) I guess any o2 will be sat at top of co2 and just blast out??
I just know I'm gonna spoil this beer somehow :( and I paid for it not brewed by me so that's 45 quid down the drain .. that's the painful part..
If you have purged every time it should be OK,I have had instances where I've had the lid off a fair few times and on one occasion had to leave it off for an hour while I went to the lhbs for spares and was fine,just purge purge and purge

I'm not sure though now if I have :(
As you say I faffed about so much I can't honestly say if I did it every time.. I bet I haven't..

Just done it now though.. it's at 40psi no signs of leaking .. Happy times .. just hope I've not already buggered it..

Just put this one up as a lot of learning. It's good to get it over with on the first one. The second time, you'll know to pressure check before adding your beer. You'll know where leaks can come from. This is valuable stuff you're getting.

You will probably want to condition the beer for some time anyway. Just have it on gas whilst conditioning. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Plus, if you drink all your beert green, you only get an amazing last pint 🍻

Thanks for your help guys? I love this forum :)

Just another update/ few more questions...
I left it overnight at 40psi and it's still flat.. do I leave it another 12hours at 40? Should I give it a dam good shaking??

I've turned the pressure down to serving (5-8psi ish) and purged it and it's coming out really foamy.. any ideas how I sort that?

And finally when you say it need to be left to condition.. sorry for been dumb.. what does that mean.. how long do I leave, what psi? Should I not be drinking it now (as I am even though it's flat :( ) it actually looks fizzy on the photo but it's not may be a little bit initially but it soon goes flat..

Again cheers all..

20170527_085233.jpg

20170527_090449.jpg

Thanks for your help guys? I love this forum :)

Just another update/ few more questions...
I left it overnight at 40psi and it's still flat.. do I leave it another 12hours at 40? Should I give it a dam good shaking??

I've turned the pressure down to serving (5-8psi ish) and purged it and it's coming out really foamy.. any ideas how I sort that?

And finally when you say it need to be left to condition.. sorry for been dumb.. what does that mean.. how long do I leave, what psi? Should I not be drinking it now (as I am even though it's flat :( ) it actually looks fizzy on the photo but it's not may be a little bit initially but it soon goes flat..

Again cheers all..
Its not flat,its draught unlike what you get out of a bottle,if that's what you are seeking then CKs won't do the job of a bottle.
Conditioning is the process of a green young beer maturing to a nice tasting beer

Yeah I thought I wouldn't get like the bottled version of it I sampled before I bought it, but honestly that's a good picture .. it's really flat really quick.. I'm no expert but I'm guessing it is still a bit under carbonated. (I've not drunk any draught beers in a pub that taste this flat anyway ;) )

I assume green beer means new, not mature yet not literally green else my beer is definitely not right as it's brown :D do I need to do anything for that or will it just get better over time ?

I think if I can just carbonate a bit more and stop that foam and it doesn't go off I'm a happy chappy...

Anyone know how to sort my foam issue out ?? :)

Yeah I thought I wouldn't get like the bottled version of it I sampled before I bought it, but honestly that's a good picture .. it's really flat really quick.. I'm no expert but I'm guessing it is still a bit under carbonated. (I've not drunk any draught beers in a pub that taste this flat anyway ;) )

I assume green beer means new, not mature yet not literally green else my beer is definitely not right as it's brown :D do I need to do anything for that or will it just get better over time ?

I think if I can just carbonate a bit more and stop that foam and it doesn't go off I'm a happy chappy...

Anyone know how to sort my foam issue out ?? :)
time and patience is a wonderful thing for good beer and I tend to disagree with you that that beer is flat in your picture as I can see carbonation bubbles quite clearly in the glass:thumb:

Then I trust your judgement fine sir ;) I'll set it back down to about 10psi ready for serving ..

Will the foam eventually sort itself out too then ??

Then I trust your judgement fine sir ;) I'll set it back down to about 10psi ready for serving ..

Will the foam eventually sort itself out too then ??
just having a quick peruse of your posts through this thread doesn't tell me if you have the keg sitting in a fridge or is just at room temperature.if its room temperature you are gonna get foaming as the CO2 comes gushing out of the beer soloution as it meets the room temerature around you,you can try longer lengths of beer line that may help but chilling the beer some how even putting the keg in an ice bath will definitely improve it

Doh sorry .. :)
It's in my kegerator at 4°c
Although I think it's pretty warm in my beer tower.. I'm gonna make a fan to blow the cold air up ..
I've heard thinner pipe too helps ??

I'm really sorry to disagree, I know bugger all about this .. I'm a total noob but I did as I said and put pressure down to 10psi earlier..

I've just poured another pint and waited a bit for the massive head to go down and took this picture.. not one bubble there :( as I say I'm sorry to disagree with you and I admit somehow it did look like there were lots of bubbles before .. but it's totally flat now.. :(

Any ideas how to get some life into this? I have checked and double checked and I no longer have any leaks..

20170527_193803.jpg

Ok. I'll add. Maybe it was addressed before but what size of beer line and how long? I had to go down to really thin and long lines. Also the height distance is super important. I think my lines are around 3 meters but really thin. It takes 22 psi to push it out. Also new people think you can fill a pint in seconds which isn't the case it should come out slow and steady. It probably takes me 10 to 15 seconds to fill a pint. But I loose zero carbonation.
Another issue is under carbonating. I force carb by agitation but it's hard with a full keg. You need head room, usually 1/4 of the size to force carb. So the smaller the head space the longer it takes. I usually roll while the pressure is set to almost blow off pressure, 48 psi for around 4 to 5 minutes per 10 liters.

Awesome cheers ..

I gave it a roll yesterday at 40psi for around 4 minutes (ish) and I now have some bubbles :) i still don't know if it's carbonated enough.. I could do it again.. from what I read if you over carbonate you can bring it down again by turning pressure down and releasing some..

BUT.. that has now confused me even more..
If I get it just right, I then have to turn down to serving pressure and release some gas before pouring, won't that just do the same as if I'd over carbonated it and bring down the level.. so am I best over carbing it in the 1st place ... my brain hurts ;)

As for what you are saying about the pipes I think you are spot on.. I have about 2 foot of 3/8 pipe from keg to tap and the bit in the tower is quite warm (or rather room temp)..

I'm gonna get about 6 maybe 10ft of 3/16 and build a tower cooler .. see if that helps :)

I reckon you will find that your beer is carbonated and the culprit is the short length of 3/8 beer line.
This is forcing the CO2 out of the beer giving lots of foam and a flat pint.
The warm tap will have an effect but this should only last about half a pint until it cools down.
You can get the party taps with a length of 3/16 hose on eBay if you want to give a try with the right length.

reading back through these comments on here, I just want to apologise to @godsdog, I probably sounded like an **** saying I disagreed with you..

I really didn't mean it to come out like that. I am very grateful of all the help all of you gives me, I am an absolute beginner and look up to you guys.

I just kinda meant, it looked and tasted flat to me, but reading the comment by @dads_ale it explains it and makes total sense, so you were right all along.. again I apologise for being a knob ;)

I've order 2 metres of 3/16 hose so hopefully I might be able to pour a pint I can drink almost straight away and not have to wait 6 hours for the head to go down :D

reading back through these comments on here, I just want to apologise to @godsdog, I probably sounded like an **** saying I disagreed with you..

I really didn't mean it to come out like that. I am very grateful of all the help all of you gives me, I am an absolute beginner and look up to you guys.

I just kinda meant, it looked and tasted flat to me, but reading the comment by @dads_ale it explains it and makes total sense, so you were right all along.. again I apologise for being a knob ;)

I've order 2 metres of 3/16 hose so hopefully I might be able to pour a pint I can drink almost straight away and not have to wait 6 hours for the head to go down :D
No offence given no offence taken forget it mate,just hope you sort it,you'll get there eventually youre only at the bottom of the learning curve and we have all been there

Latest posts

Back