wine storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needmorstuf

Regular.
Reaction score
so i have gone a bit crazy with the wow..

i did a demijohn of wow, then 23l, then a CC zinf kit, now another 23l wow. so i have a glut of product. I am keeping 5l in a box in the fridge and the rest in 5l water bottles. trouble is I have them in my garage.. and on a top shelf no less.. apparently that's bad.

so I have put the 10l i have ready on the floor now but will have about 40l ready in a week and am wondering what to do about storage.. how long does wine last in a garage? if it's a couple of months i will be ok. if not i will have to look at options.. either buy a fridge or something else.

I cannot advice from experience as i don't store my wine long but having read what the expert says below i think a garage in summer is not going to cut it.

Wine expert Karen MacNeil recommends keeping wine intended for ageing in a cool area with a constant temperature around 13 °C, Wine can be stored at temperatures as high as 21 °C without long-term negative effect.

Keep it out of light and out of heat, if any is in wine bottles with corks then keep it tipped towards the cork to prevent it drying out. Drink anything that is in clear bottles first and coloured bottles last.

none in glass bottles, all in asda 5l water bottles. I'll move it into my booze cupboard in the kitchen, that's the coolest room in the house.

I may have to - A, drink more wine and B, scale back production so I don't have a such a glut of product.

I keep my wine in a kitchen cupboard which is attached to the outside wall of the kitchen and next to the sink, its always fairly cool in there even in the height of summer, i used to keep it in the under-stairs cupboard which was even better but a right pain as we store the hoover, stepladder, shoes, boots etc in there.

same here for the under stairs cupboard, i did consider it but it's full of all that stuff. my entire kitchen is pretty cool.. has a tiled floor and inadequate heating after I calculated the BTU requirement for our extension.. I blame those stupid designer radiators and not my math though.

I cannot advice from experience as i don't store my wine long but having read what the expert says below i think a garage in summer is not going to cut it.

I've got some bottles of red in the shed keeping me mo'bike company. Must be thirty degrees in there but who cares it's for the missus and she'll sup owt that makes her fall down.

If it's in plastic pets, get them wrapped in brown paper, costs peanuts.

My entire wine stash is in the garage, with some intended storing 3 months over summer, to some country wines I intent leaving at least a year.

I've never considered my garage to be too warm to be honest, but I can't think anywhere in the house being cooler in the height of summer?

I've never considered my garage to be too warm to be honest, but I can't think anywhere in the house being cooler in the height of summer?

If you're really stuck, do what I did recently - pull up some floorboards in a discreet spot ( in my case in the utility space under the stairs). Secure the ones used for access with a single screw. It's cool down there with little temperature fluctuation and permanently as black as night. Perfect really, all going to waste no more.

If you're really stuck, do what I did recently - pull up some floorboards in a discreet spot ( in my case in the utility space under the stairs). Secure the ones used for access with a single screw. It's cool down there with little temperature fluctuation and permanently as black as night. Perfect really, all going to waste no more.

now thats a good idea, we are getting a new boiler soon so I'll speak to her brother when he does it when The pipes are getting done to see where is least intrusive.

In the winter, when it's zero outside, and 20 degrees inside - my garage is 8-10 degrees.
I've never done the same comparison when it's 20 degrees OUTSIDE, I'd always presumed it would be OK.
Sods law, its baking hot outside today, and I've lost my thermometer.
Saying that, I opened a bottle of wine straight from the garage just now, and it's perfect for drinking - no bottle warmer or decanting required, which isnt a good sign for summer storage :nono:

well i've found my thermometer, and my garage is 20 degrees now. It's been barely 17 degrees today, and it's almost 8pm.

Might dig a hole in me garden and bury them haha :doh:

Latest posts

Back