3 Vessel AG Brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photek1000

Reaction score
My next brewday planned for the Bank Holiday with have coming up will be the first run of my cheap as chips 3 vessel set up, rather than the BIAB I have been doing and I just want to check over some water & recipe calculations.

It's an off the shelf English IPA All grain Kit from Get'er'Brewed, 6.4KG of grain and three hop varieties, EKG, Fuggles and Challenger.

It suggests 16 litre Mash and 12 Litre Sparge, with that grain bill does that sound about right for 23 Litre in the FV after a 60 Minute boil?
I don't have the weights of the hops to hand.

My Mash tun has 1.2L of Dead Space and the boiler has 2L.

Part of the details seem to contradict as well regarding the 10 minute hop additon, one part just says 10 minutes which I would take as last 10 minutes, but another label says 10 minutes into the boil.

From your vast knowledge of beer styles would agree that for an IPA more hops would go in late for aroma rather than bittering hops at the start of the boil.

Looking forward to Brewday, but could be fun to get the ferment temps good with the current nice spell of warm weather.

It suggests 16 litre Mash and 12 Litre Sparge, with that grain bill does that sound about right for 23 Litre in the FV after a 60 Minute boil?

Everybody's kit is a little different so don't worry too much about these numbers.

I'd suggest you mash in 16 litres, then slowly sparge until you have the right kettle volume for your target of 23l.

Allowing for your kettle's dead space of 2l, and evaporation ~5l, sparge until you have the full 30l you need.

Cheers both, as it's the first run with this set up I knew it would be a bit of a suck it and see, but always nice to know I'm heading in the right direction.

The difference in air temperature since my last AG brew day will effect the evaporation enough on it's own, it was barely above freezing last time.

From your hops, I would suggest Challenger as the bittering hop at the start of the boil and Fuggles & Goldings, half of each at 15 and 0 mins.

This should make for a nice English style beer, but it will not have a big hop presence.

Well brew day went very well until the end, can't seem to get a total smooth run yet, but still learning the kit and this was the first run not going BIAB.

Main issue is water volumes, thought I had it nailed down but the Fv came out woefully under target at only 16.5 litres.

The Mash was great, 16 Litres at 67° for an hour, dropped no more that 0.4° over that hour, so pleased with the cheap home made tun.

I was aiming for a batch sparge, thinking it would be easier, and after that only came to 25L in the boiler.

What I would like to know is can I keep rinsing the grains to get target pre boil volume until the SG of the wort produced is to low (1.010)?

The final issue with such a low post boil volume was that the hop filter fell off when I dumped in the chiller, obviousley I didn't know this until I got to the murkey end of the boiler, so there was quite a bit of Trub left in the boiler.

Also the pellet hops came in a tea bag style which I have never used before, and it certainly seemed like they had better liquid retention than loose.

All is not lost though the wort was on target gravity wise within 0.002 (1.062) and has gone off like a rocket, krausen hitting the lid within 24 hours even from the 16 litre line.

Oh and the Hop schedule was a typo, as confirmed by Geterbrewed over Facebook, and was the traditional 60,10,0 additions.

My next brewday planned for the Bank Holiday with have coming up will be the first run of my cheap as chips 3 vessel set up, rather than the BIAB I have been doing and I just want to check over some water & recipe calculations.

It's an off the shelf English IPA All grain Kit from Get'er'Brewed, 6.4KG of grain and three hop varieties, EKG, Fuggles and Challenger.

Part of the details seem to contradict as well regarding the 10 minute hop additon, one part just says 10 minutes which I would take as last 10 minutes, but another label says 10 minutes into the boil.

From your vast knowledge of beer styles would agree that for an IPA more hops would go in late for aroma rather than bittering hops at the start of the boil.

Looking forward to Brewday, but could be fun to get the ferment temps good with the current nice spell of warm weather.

I use a Grainfather, after doing stove top half brews and partial mashes.

If I were aiming for the usual 25L in the FV, I go for minimum 35L in total - say 20L mash in the GF (3.5L plus dead space on mashing) and then 15L heated up for the sparge.

Grain weight would be ~ 5.5kg for those water volumes.

Back