Wilko Pilsner Toucan?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bevvied

Life Support System For A Beer Belly
Reaction score
Hi.
Might be a daft question, but can I knock up a Toucan brew with Wilkos Delicate Pilsner? If so, should I brew it long? What would be a recommended amount of fermentables to add? I'd like something in the ballpark ABV of 5 to 5.5%
I've a stock of brewing sugar, various spray malts, so can get this on today without too much trouble.
Also, I'm possibly venturing into the realm of lunacy here, but could I use Safale 04 yeast or Wilkos Yeast, in combination with medium spray malts, to produce more of an ale than a lager? I'm not much of a lager drinker and was given the kits as a present. Tight northerner you see, I don't want to just put kits in the back of a cupboard.
Sorry if that is a load ballcocks, probably last thing anyone needs to try and fathom on a Sunday morning!
Ta
Mark

ps. I tried to find what I'd need on the kit reviews A-Z, but that doesn't seem to load for me properly at the moment.

Well, a lack of patience and seeing an empty FV got the better of me! In truth, I wanted to get this on the go before the afternoon of beer and football on the telly starts.

2 kits.
1KG Medium Spray Malt
Approx 250G Brewing Sugar
Wilkos Ale Yeast
Approx 25Litres

OG 1054

I hope it don't turn out 'orrible!

Well, a lack of patience and seeing an empty FV got the better of me! In truth, I wanted to get this on the go before the afternoon of beer and football on the telly starts.

2 kits.
1KG Medium Spray Malt
Approx 250G Brewing Sugar
Wilkos Ale Yeast
Approx 25Litres

OG 1054

I hope it don't turn out 'orrible!

Hi Bevvied,

I doubled up the Wilko Lager kits a few times last time the 25% sale was on. I just used cane sugar and hop additions and they came out fine.

I used Coopers yeast, in the main. The Pilsner, I added 1kg demerarra sugar and a bit of a hop addition and brewed to 27L.

I would say that if you are patient, you will get an excellent pint out of this experiment.

Should be fine. I would be tempted to dry hop to give a bit of aroma. Something like Saaz would work well.

Thanks guys.
I have x2 20G bags of saaz hops.
What are thoughts of using these? Maybe a week or so before I bottle (after a week of brew being in FV), one bag or both?
Sorry, newb question!

Thanks Dave, will do that.
Very much appreciated the advice.
Ta.

Back