Best way to add coffee or vanilla to a stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerfeld

Reaction score
Morning all.
I am about to start my 3rd stout kit (Brewmaker Irish stout), the previous 2 being Coopers to which I added licorice.

This time I would like to experiment with coffee and/or vanilla but I am not sure how best to add them.

With the licorice I added sticks to the malt as it was boiled with sugar which dissolved them.

The coffee is currently in bean form and the vanilla is a pod. Any tips on quantity would also be welcome.

cheers

I've used coffee in stout a couple of times now, I like the bitterness it brings. I've used brewed coffee and a better quality instant, it's very easy to over do it with the coffee though. I'm thinking that at some point in the future I may try the camp bottled coffee for posterity sake. I am also adding a hop tea to the stouts when I'm brewing them, I've liked all the ones I've done so far but then I've always preferred the more bitter stouts.

I've added coffee once, I brewed fresh coffee in a cafetiere and added about 500ml at bottling time. Worked well. I followed an American breakfast stout recipe.

Cheers guys.

My plan is to add vanilla pod (split) to the malt/sugar in the pot and leave in the FV throughout. I did this last night but don't expect lots of vanilla flavour, hopefully just a hint.

I will make a strong coffee brew and add this to the fv a day or so before bottling.

Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back