I'm reading abv in a porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanStillwel

Reaction score
Hi all

My next brew is going to be a porter.

I've found a nice recipe to base it in, I want to make it a bit more punchy. I.e. Get the abv up a bit.

I'm going to be using 4 Grains, some of which I only need a very small amount, such as the choc malt.

When it comes to scaling up a recipe to increase the abv, do I scale up ALL of the grains? Or just the base that is the majority? In this case Maris otter at around 55% of the grain bill

Many thanks

Hi all

My next brew is going to be a porter.

I've found a nice recipe to base it in, I want to make it a bit more punchy. I.e. Get the abv up a bit.

I'm going to be using 4 Grains, some of which I only need a very small amount, such as the choc malt.

When it comes to scaling up a recipe to increase the abv, do I scale up ALL of the grains? Or just the base that is the majority? In this case Maris otter at around 55% of the grain bill

Many thanks

just chuck in a can of golden syrup or 500g+ of clear / light candi sugar. go on you know you want to :twisted:

more grains in the same brew length will give increased flavor along with more abv% hence my suggestion to add sugars with less flavour instead.

Many thanks

I'm very new to brewing and this is only my 4th brew, so I'm still learning

I am currently doing 5l / 1 gallon batches and the abv of the recipe is 4% but I want to get it to 6

What are we talking here in terms of syrup / sugar etc. And also. Does this go in the boil, the mash?

Thanks

Back