Looking for a good versatile Belgian yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm planning to brew a tripel for putting away til Christmas but in my traditionally frugal Aberdeenshire manner I like to overbuild and keep my liquid yeasts. I'm going to be brewing a belgian wit for the summer and will probably do a few other belgian styles, so what yeast would folks suggest.

I'm kinda tossing up between Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier (GH uses it in his Dubbel), and Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity.

Both will be fairly belgian-y but in different ways. Anyone got experience of one or both to compare?

Thanks

I'd go with 3787 or maybe 3522 ardennes. I've always liked that one.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Thanks the ardennes did look interesting but I initially discounted it as it's temp range starts at 20C and that's a bit hard in my house until I get a brew fridge.

Anyone used Wyeast Forbidden Fruit 3463? Especially is anything other than a wit?

You can use it cooler and it's cleaner. I've used it at 17-18 c before.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

You could wing it and try The Crossmyloof Belgian yeast at less than £1.40 a pack, less than 90p if you buy ten. I've got two packs of their Belgian yeast in the cupboard but the brew is three or four down the list so I can't report back yet

Latest posts

Back