Gout.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was finally resigned to the fact that I should go to the doctors today but it seems to be subsiding :thumb:

Kept the booze consumption sensible over the weekend though not off it completely.

If I get another attack then I'll pay them a visit. Over the last few years I've had my fair share of blood tests, being poked and prodded, etc. so I didn't want to go through more stuff unnecessarily. I do wonder if the gout attack (assuming that's what it is) has got anything to do with a reduction in the dose of steroids I take for an auto immune condition, they certainly seemed to screw with my body chemistry when I first started taking them, got loads of cramp and other stuff.

Where do you get it?

Its been a while since mine flared up (big toes) probably because i drink more wine than beer. (at least i hope that is the reason)

I think I have posted similarly before, but here is a very brief synopsis of what my research told me:

Gout is caused by the crystallisation of Uric acid in the bloodstream.

In turn, uric acid turns up there from the consumption of purines. These are present in most foods to a greater (red meat) or lesser degree, but in essence are a by-product of anaerobic respiration.

Anaerobic means "not in the presence of oxygen" and describes very well the action of brewers yeast.

Drinking over much brewers yeast is the very worst thing you might do. The NHS website does not state this specifically, for some reason.

Obviously any drink that is closely associated with the activities of brewers yeast is going to have a high purine content.

I have not had an attack of gout since ceasing the habit of drinking the yeasty dregs of bottled beer some years ago. In the meantime, I rack my beers after 2 weeks and bottle at 3 weeks from pitching to reduce residual yeast.

A bit of yeast is far from poisonous, it is drinking loads of yeast that precipitated the condition in me.

ow - suffering the past 2 days. Not funny. Drinking water. May visit quack tomorrow if no better.
If you have got a flare up the doc will only prescribe anti inflammatory before blood tests and on comfirmation once it has eased off give you allipurinol or the like.in the meantime you can take ibprofuron which is anti inflammatory yourself which is freely available before you see the doc

Good shout on the purines Slid this is my post from earlier in the thread -

Does Drinking Beer Cause Gout?

The study reported interesting these interesting results:

Compared with non beer drinkers, those who drank two or more servings of beer per day suffered a 2.5 times greater risk of gout.

Compared with non liquor drinkers, those who drank two or more servings of liquor per day suffered a 1.6 times greater risk of gout.

Wine was not associated with an increased risk of gout compared with those who did not drink wine.

Also interesting, the risk grew as servings grew. For example, the risk of gout increased by 49% with each serving of beer per day. The risk of gout was increased by 15% per serving of liquor each day. Because liquor is more alcoholic in beer, researchers concluded that a non-alcoholic factor in beer was the real culprit of the risk.

Purines (specific chemical compounds found in some foods) are broken down into uric acid. A diet rich in purines from certain sources can raise uric acid levels in the body, which sometimes leads to gout. Meat and seafood may increase your risk of gout. Dairy products may lower your risk.

Avoid meats such as liver, kidney and sweetbreads, which have high purine levels and contribute to high blood levels of uric acid. Selected seafood. Avoid the following types of seafood, which are higher in purines than others: anchovies, herring, sardines, mussels, scallops, trout, haddock, mackerel and tuna.

Foods to limit (very high in purines):

Organ meats, such as liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, and brains.
Meats, including bacon, beef, pork, and lamb.

Game meats.
Any other meats in large amounts.
Anchovies, sardines, herring, mackerel, and scallops.
Gravy.

I have noticed certain foods seem to trigger my attacks, beef especially. Over bank holiday weekend (last weekend) I over indulged with both beer & barbeque meat (not beef) and have not had an attack.
Other people have mentioned their trigger is mushroom.

If you have got a flare up the doc will only prescribe anti inflammatory before blood tests and on comfirmation once it has eased off give you allipurinol or the like.in the meantime you can take ibprofuron which is anti inflammatory yourself which is freely available before you see the doc

tried to live with it for 2 days........quack prescribed Naproxen.

That sounds nasty, mine stays in the joint of my big toe usually the left foot, i didn't know it could enflame the whole top of the foot , don't fancy that one bit. :-?

Gout can turn up in any joint, although it usually radiates out from the initial attack area(usually a big toe), i.e toe other toes, ankle, knee, hip and so on.

Le Trotteur by Calvin Klein

footy.jpg

I think I have posted similarly before, but here is a very brief synopsis of what my research told me:

Gout is caused by the crystallisation of Uric acid in the bloodstream.

In turn, uric acid turns up there from the consumption of purines. These are present in most foods to a greater (red meat) or lesser degree, but in essence are a by-product of anaerobic respiration.

Anaerobic means "not in the presence of oxygen" and describes very well the action of brewers yeast.

Drinking over much brewers yeast is the very worst thing you might do. The NHS website does not state this specifically, for some reason.

Obviously any drink that is closely associated with the activities of brewers yeast is going to have a high purine content.

I have not had an attack of gout since ceasing the habit of drinking the yeasty dregs of bottled beer some years ago. In the meantime, I rack my beers after 2 weeks and bottle at 3 weeks from pitching to reduce residual yeast.

A bit of yeast is far from poisonous, it is drinking loads of yeast that precipitated the condition in me.
Hmm I wish I never read that, I do like my wheat beer :-(
I've only had gout once and I would have to say I didn't like,

I have often wondered if my gout is caused by drinking beer and my suspicions have now been confirmed, we got a shop from ASDA and they do 4 bottles for £6 so i 8 finished them last weekend and had a painful right toe for a couple of days, i am not giving up on the beer as i am enjoying working through the bargain booze list but i am going to tone it down a bit and probably only drink a couple then move on to the wine as posted earlier in the thread wine doesn't give you gout.

Latest posts

Back