Beginners advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colliedog

Reaction score
I am brewing my first homebrew and it has just about finished its first fermentation. I got a barrel with my brewing kit but would like to store the beer in bottles as I can leave them in the garage and bring them up as required for drinking. After reading online I am planning to batch prime the beer in the barrel and then transfer to bottles from there. Does that sound like a decent plan?

My other two questions are:
1) how long should I leave my beer in the barrel to prime before transferring to bottles?
2) can I use silver spoon table sugar as priming sugar and if so how much would be required for an IPA made up to 23 litres? Silver spoon cane sugar is what I currently have in the house.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

This forum is for guides and how-to's. You will need to post in the general beer brewing discussion forum, althought this will probably be moved by the mods/admin

To answer your question though, yes you can batch prime in the keg and transfer some to bottle. I would get a little bottler to attach to your tap though. To batch prime, mix your sugar in a pan with a little water, boil and allow to cool. Add to your barrel and syphon your beer onto the syrup mixture you made

As soon as your beer has mixed with your sugar solution bottle what you want straight away and seal both the bottles and keg.

Normal household sugar is fine for priming, I use granulated sugar when I (rarely) bottle.

Topic moved to the discussion areas. Like Joey said, the "How To" areas are where members can post articles on how to do things brewing related, not for asking "how do I ... ?"

Don't worry, you're not in any sort of trouble, it's a minor irritation but easily fixed. I can see you've only just joined, so welcome to the forum. :cheers:

There are plenty of other members who have been with us for long enough to know the difference though, but still keep doing it, then it does start to get annoying :evil:

In answer to your questions, ordinary household granulated sugar is fine (although I think you will find Silver Spoon is from beet, not cane). How much to use may vary according to the brew, what have you made? I think it's around 80g for an ale and more for a lager, but someone else needs to confirm that as I only ever bottle prime.

Welcome. :cheers: Looks like you are doing just fine. I always use granulated sugar for priming and never noticed any problems. Purists will say use DME or other type of sugar, but given that only about 2g per bottle goes in I think they are being a bit anoraky :grin: .

you can bottle it as soon as its mixed in your barrel, i also agree a little bottler helps, i have one on a bottling bucket its very useful

Back