Signing Off for a few weeks!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just to let everyone know that I am signing off tonight as we are on our way to France for about ten weeks tomorrow; and yet again we will have only limited Internet access when we are away.

I am leaving 23 litres of Coopers Lager in the fridge. Started on the 23rd August, I transferred it to a second FV on the 31st and it will lager away at 10 degrees until I get back.

I have a healthy regard for the plunging Pound to Euro exchange rate, so I won’t be going to France empty handed on this trip.

Apart from enough food to feed a small village for a year (calculation compliments of SWMBO who thinks it will last us two for about ten weeks) I have also brewed the following to go with us:i

o 20 litres of Golden Stag Summer Ale in MKs.

o 22 litres of Muntons Midas Touch Ale in a King Keg.

o 22 litres of Muntons Gold IPA to be put in the Wilco Keg.

That should be enough for 10 weeks and as our French friends like a beer or three I doubt very much if there will be any left to bring back home!

The one problem is that the Gold IPA is still fermenting! :doh: Started on the 25th August and I’m still getting a “glub” every 70 seconds!

I am starting to get more than a little bit worried because when I pitched the rehydrated yeast I also threw in the stir bar and had to recover it with a magnet on the end of a telescopic steel rod. I wiped the rod down with kitchen paper soaked in OxiChem before a quick "in/out" to pick up the stir-bar; but it’s definitely in the lap of the Gods as to whether or not it has infected things!

Here’s hoping that when I take the lid off the FV tomorrow I don’t get an immediate guff of vinegar or see anything nasty floating on the top of the beer because I have to transfer it tomorrow morning.

The plan (if it's okay) is to transfer it to my new Wilko Keg, carbonate it with only 80 grams of sugar and use CO2 capsules if required ...

... and the "fall-back" position is to take 20 litres of St Peter's Red Ruby Ale already conditioning in MKs! :thumb:

Here’s hoping the Gold IPA is okay though!

Incidentally, when the MKs are empty I will give them a good rinse and get them refilled with wine at my local co-operative. At about €1.40 a litre for “en vrac wine” it’s the number one reason why I don’t do much wine making here at home! :whistle:

Anyway, with my HBF “T” shirt packed and one foot out of the door raring to go I’ll wish you all a great Autumn; and start looking forward to getting back to see how the Coopers Lager turns out.

Play nicely while I'm away!  :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Best regards,
:cheers::cheers:

have a good one. although id be bit worried about racking a beer thats still releasing a bubble every min or so, even two for that matter.
my razorback is still goin (min half bubble) so and Im off to Spain Friday. I've decided to leave it until were back, then I've got to dry hop. taking it to five weeks in the primary! I hope I can (like Ur in gods hands brew) put this beer down as another success story and dispose another myth were inclined to fret about for no reason

have fun

Last update.

The Gold IPA smelled okay, tasted okay and looked remarkably clear ...

... so I transferred it to the Wilco Keg, added only 40 gram of sugar and it's now sat in the trailer ready to go.

I considered leaving it for the 10 weeks but as the fridge is already occupied with the lager I decided that putting it in the keg and taking it with us was the lesser of two evils. I generally follow the 2+2+2 rule and this is the very first time I have had a brew still fermenting at the two week mark! Live and learn eh?

Many thanks for your good wishes and we will try and keep ourselves happy ... :thumb:

... and the beer will help with that I'm pretty sure!! :whistle::whistle:

Au revoir!
:cheers::cheers:
Dutto

,..hope the sediment settles down when you get there

Hi there again.

Got back at 1am on Sunday morning and relaxed after the drive from Portsmouth by drinking the last pint of Golden Stag (from the original 64 litres) as I relaxed on the settee before heading off to bed.

The Muntons Gold that I took away with me without completing fermentation managed to become a superb drink and was used to satisfy thirsts in October.

Since getting back home I have bottled the 22 litres of Coopers Lager that has been lagering at 10 degrees for nearly 10 weeks. Clear as a bell and with a very hoppy aroma (50g of Fuggles added prior to fermentation) it is now bottled and being conditioned.

Okay, that's me up to date and back on the Forum.

I hope everyone played nicely whilst I was away. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

"soaked in OxiChem before a quick "in/out" to pick up the stir-bar"

this gives me some hope after forgetting to sanitize after sterillizing the FV with that Wizz stuff from pound land.

cheers

I thought I may as well use this Post again. :thumb:

I'm signing off for 10 weeks as we head over to France again.

This time, apart from our normal stay in Severac, we will be meeting up with our Great-Granddaughter and her Mum for a two week break down on the Mediterranean near Beziers.

I've packed my trunks, flippers, face-mask, snorkel and bodyboard but I just can't see the Med warming up enough by the end of May to tempt me to go in much deeper than my ankles! However, GGD and her Mum live in Scotland and I've seen children splashing around in the sea off Aberdeen during the Easter break!

I always think that any Alien visiting earth would think that we have four varieties of children. These being white children, black children, yellow children and blue children which are mainly to be found in or near the sea in Scotland. :whistle: :whistle:

Okay, bye bye for the next ten-weeks ... :cheers::cheers::cheers:
... and play nicely while I'm away!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:​

I'm so jealous, and will be asking you more about the wine Co op when you return and are back online

I've heard stories on our site about these places where you take empty bottles and they fill.em for a euro a litre but have yet to find one

This time, apart from our normal stay in Severac, we will be meeting up with our Great-Granddaughter and her Mum for a two week break down on the Mediterranean near Beziers.

I've packed my trunks, flippers, face-mask, snorkel and bodyboard but I just can't see the Med warming up enough by the end of May to tempt me to go in much deeper than my ankles! However, GGD and her Mum live in Scotland and I've seen children splashing around in the sea off Aberdeen during the Easter break!

I always think that any Alien visiting earth would think that we have four varieties of children. These being white children, black children, yellow children and blue children which are mainly to be found in or near the sea in Scotland. :whistle: :whistle:

Enjoy, i'm sure you'll have a great time! :thumb:

Are you sure you will get back in this time?

Having been brought up on the East coast of Scotland, if you have never ran into the North Sea as your parents cower behind the wind shelter with the flask of tea you have never lived. They give oil rig workers survival suits, kids get trunks!! :doh:

Enjoy your trip!!:thumb:

Au revoir Dutto.
Last time I went in the sea in the UK was about 40 years ago in a wet suit. :thumb:

Have a good trip Dutto, but stop being so nesh I'm up to Scarborough on Monday for a few days surfing..

Back