Hop pellets v dried hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pellets versus Whole Leaves:

Pellets are supposedly a tiny bit more efficient as they are shredded smaller so larger surface area of contact with the wort.

However, I found that pellets used in my boil break up and the small particles get into the hop filter and tend to block the tap so I use whole leafs in the boil whenever possible.

Are you using in the boil or for a dry hop ?

For dryhopping i find pellets two to three times better than leaf hops,more flavour, more pungent, seem to really infuse into the beer more?
Everyone has their own preference i guess

I've always used leaf in the GrainFather and I'm 12 brews in now with no problems.

Jay

I used to use leaf and found them a pain in the backside if I didn't use hop bags although that was with the old GrainFather filter. I've since upgraded the filter and bought a hop spider, I prefer using pellets because of the extra extraction (10% IIRC) and, more importantly, I find them easier to clean up. Some of the hop material does get through the hop spider but I was surprised by how little. For dry hopping I prefer pellets too as they sink easier. If I have a choice between the two I'll go with pellets but I've had plenty of success with leaf too. I'd definitely recommend a hop spider with either, it's so much easier to clean up and you get smaller losses.

I'm trying to go to pellets only. The biggest advantage that I can see is that they take up less space both in my freezer and the boil kettle.

I already have one draw of the freezer given over to photographic film (remember that) and now i'm filling the rest of the freezer with hops.

Also pellet hops don't soak up precious wort in the boil kettle which can make a significant difference if you are going for a super hoppy IPA or similar.

I would agree that it is easier use pellet hops for dry hopping and I've never notice a difference in flavour or aroma between the two.

To me, pellets seem to store better. I store both in a domestic deep-freeze, and the pellets seem to retain their aroma better.

I prefer whole hops for dry-hopping, though. The way I brew, I find that the pellets leave a lot of very fine debris, which takes ages to settle out and is a pig to try to filter. Whole hops can just be taken out by putting the beer through a sieve, or squeezing a hop bag.
Funny how people have such opposite views on the convenience of pellets - depends upon your equipment & preferred methods, I guess :)

If a recipe is designed for dried hops and you want to use hop pellets do you have to alter the weight?

To me, pellets seem to store better. I store both in a domestic deep-freeze, and the pellets seem to retain their aroma better.

I prefer whole hops for dry-hopping, though. The way I brew, I find that the pellets leave a lot of very fine debris, which takes ages to settle out and is a pig to try to filter. Whole hops can just be taken out by putting the beer through a sieve, or squeezing a hop bag.
Funny how people have such opposite views on the convenience of pellets - depends upon your equipment & preferred methods, I guess :)
Using whole hop cones for dry hopping to you just chuck them.in or maybe roughly blend them first? So more oils can be imparted

Latest posts

Back