Ingredient Storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenaciousG

Reaction score
Hi all

As of tomorrow I will have most of the stuff I need to start the jump to AG from kit brewing.
Seeing as I need to buy separate ingredients, I plan on planning my next few brews in advance, putting in one order (probably with malt miller)
How do we all store grain and hops after delivery?
Probably going to buy a 25kg of grain etc so will a spare FV work?

Thanks in advance

James

the good old ex mango chutney barrels are great for storing grain and adjuncts in (ONCE DE-WHIFFED!!)
Damp and rodent proof they also make grand brewday stools with a thick cushion popped on top..

Hops in the freezer and grain in sealed barrels. I have mango drum for small amount of grain but 25kg sacks didn't fit so I bought a used 60l barrel.

I buy 25kg and store in sealed containers as you need 2 litre's storage for 1kg of dried grain so for 25 you need a 50 litre container or 2 @ 25.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Hops in the freezer and grain in sealed barrels. I have mango drum for small amount of grain but 25kg sacks didn't fit so I bought a used 60l barrel.

Oh yes it will - well in a 50l tub(afaik some are 45l..) .. you do need to coax the last kilo or 2 in from a full 25kg sack by kicking the barrel to aid settling of the grain, but with a little patience it can all go in.. :whistle:

A 60l tub would save the 5-ten minutes of kicking to stettle the grains tho ;)
might be a tad too tall for a comfortable stool tho ..

Hops: Kitchen freezer
Grain: Resealed original bags in plastic storage boxes in the garage
Yeast harvested for re-use: Jam jar in kitchen fridge.

A kitchen vacuum sealer is a good cheap investment (see amazon/ebay). My freezer hops are in the foil packs in vacuum sealed bags. My grain bags are heat sealed closed without the vacuum function.

Oh yes it will - well in a 50l tub(afaik some are 45l..) .. you do need to coax the last kilo or 2 in from a full 25kg sack by kicking the barrel to aid settling of the grain, but with a little patience it can all go in.. :whistle:

A 60l tub would save the 5-ten minutes of kicking to stettle the grains tho ;)
might be a tad too tall for a comfortable stool tho ..
Getting he sack back out must be a butch (I and not u)

Latest posts

Back