Fancy an 8% Pay Rise?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today, in this age of austerity and with poverty knocking on the nation's door, the Government have announced that the Queen will receive an 8% pay rise from public funds in the next Financial Year; an INCREASE of about SIX MILLION POUNDS.

Last year, (in the face of this austerity and where everyone was tightening their belts) the Queen's official net expenditure increased by TWO MILLION POUNDS to almost FORTY-TWO MILLION POUNDS.

The Keeper of the Privy Purse pointed out that the Royal Family ... "is excellent value for money" so we can assume that HE doesn't shop at Lidl. :whistle:

It's nice to know that we are all in this together eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is only one reason to tolerate them, they do something huge for us, Oh yes they do and they'd be cheap a twice the price.

The save us from the horror of a president!!

aamcle

I think the Royals do more for the country than they are given credit for and as you say the alternative is a president.

Who would be better off if we did away with the Monarchy? The person who became president, but probably no-one else. I dare say a lot of people would wear enormous smug grins as an element of the class system was dismantled but no-one's life would actually be improved in a tangible manner.

Saying that most of Household staff are on the minimum wage is a bit misleading. My wife is a member of the Royal Household and through the course of my work I have close involvement too; my experience does not bear this claim out.

The Royals negotiate billions of pounds of trade deals for us and their iconic status around the world does make a difference. Yes they get paid a lot and have a huge amount of inherited wealth, but they do add something we all benefit from. Even if you assume we would only lose a small amount, say 10% of the trade they bring in if we didnt have a royal family and other people would negotiate the rest (and their status in the world is thought to bring in far more than that) they are still good value for money. However wrong (or not depending on your view) it is to have a family of such privilege through nothing but birth, getting rid of them would have a huge negative affect on the country.

The 10% increase in the share of Crown Estate profits allocated to the royal family is to last for 10 years and is to pay for the �£369 million refurb of buck house. So no, it's not a "pay rise" so put your pitchforks back in the shed.

Disclaimer: I'm neither a royalist nor a republican, I just read to the end of the news articles.

The 10% increase in the share of Crown Estate profits allocated to the royal family is to last for 10 years and is to pay for the ��£369 million refurb of buck house. So no, it's not a "pay rise" so put your pitchforks back in the shed.

Disclaimer: I'm neither a royalist nor a republican, I just read to the end of the news articles.

I'd love it if I had a flow of funds that was my pay and a separate flow of funds to pay for my house repairs. But like the rest of the general populace I have to make do with one. I don't think it is unreasonable to characterise an increase in their funds flow in that way!

£369 million pound refurb, is that all? Oh well,it's only people that are burning to death.
Maybe they should use the cladding they strip off for the Queens bedroom.

£369 million pound refurb, is that all? Oh well,it's only people that are burning to death.
Maybe they should use the cladding they strip off for the Queens bedroom.

I don't get the connection between the amount of money it is costing to renovate the palace and the people who have lost lives in a fire i also think its in pretty bad taste.

Latest posts

Back