Fancy an 8% Pay Rise?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Money aside I think the Queen has had a defined life. Taking over during wartime must have been daunting and a test to her resolve. The others I think have led a cosseted life...I don't think Charlie is up to being king...yet.
It would be a bit more exciting if they still slung people in the bloody tower though!

Personally I can't quite see this idea they negotiate billions of pounds of trade for us. I can't see any corporate business making multi million pound decisions based on a lunch at Buck house or polo at Windsor. The German and French economy's don't do to bad without a monarch. And the theory they attract tourism, well I love history but I've never chosen a holiday based on there's a family there that I have no chance of meeting living in a big house that I will only see the outside of. Why do they need so many palaces and castles, why do they need so many staff, why do we give money to minor royals.
One easy answer privatise them.

I don't get the connection between the amount of money it is costing to renovate the palace and the people who have lost lives in a fire i also think its in pretty bad taste.

Ok buddy,it wasn't a joke,I just find (and its a personal opinion) that spending that amount on a building when £2 per sheet of cladding could have made the difference between life and death pretty obscene.
I get it that people like the royals and to let out a no so secret, the Queen is coming to my work next week,I may ask her about the refurb!
Seriously though,I cannot and never will justify a royal lifestyle whilst people in this country starve to death and the disabled are forced to jump/crawl through hoops to get a pound.
Just my take on it and if you found it in bad taste I apologise, no offence meant 👍

Regarding tourism...it's not just the present monarchy. ..it's the country's history that attracts the tourists...I live in Wales. ..full of English castles, a few of which I've visited. You only have to see and hear the Americans and Japanese when visiting these monuments that they are a big deal...and that's just a derelict bunch of rocks...they must be nearly wetting themselves outside Buckingham palace. ..and spending more than a penny. ..like it or not the royal family attracts visitors who spend a lot.
I do note however that all they own was not earned...many years ago....it was taken and given to custodians for services rendered until a time their services are again required..of which,mainly they still hold.
Or get the public to maintain through the nation trust...

Ok,I work in a castle so I've got a bloody cheek insulting any royals, but if they just paid a little more ........😂,say 8 percent

My response to any outpouring of support for royalty is ...

HRH Prince Andrew
:doh: :doh: :doh:

Go on! Justify this man's lifestyle and why I should contribute to it. :whistle:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/820952/prince-andrew-duke-of-york-air-miles-travel-royal-family

Not trying to justify him but its quite easy to see how he could travel that much to help British entrepreneurs. In the global economy visiting China who manufacture a lot for goods for British companies and in a worldwide market place visiting their customers and suppliers could easily take him around the world.

Ok buddy,it wasn't a joke,I just find (and its a personal opinion) that spending that amount on a building when �£2 per sheet of cladding could have made the difference between life and death pretty obscene.
I get it that people like the royals and to let out a no so secret, the Queen is coming to my work next week,I may ask her about the refurb!
Seriously though,I cannot and never will justify a royal lifestyle whilst people in this country starve to death and the disabled are forced to jump/crawl through hoops to get a pound.
Just my take on it and if you found it in bad taste I apologise, no offence meant

They didn't know the cladding was going to kill people?

Your post reads like you are saying that many months ago when they announced they were going to do the work the queen should have got her Chrystal ball out and said no best spend the money taking all the flammable cladding off the tower blocks as I think they may one day kill people?

Ok,I work in a castle so I've got a bloody cheek insulting any royals, but if they just paid a little more ........������,say 8 percent

True Story my brother before moving to the states worked at Warwick Castle a few years ago and I don't know if you;re aware Warwick Castle is pretty big tourist attraction here in the midlands..

He was serving coffee to an American family and the dad said

"Aw man how do you guys make this place look to real!?"

Slightly confused my brother said this er it is a real castle nearly 1000 years old..

"*laughing*git outta here maan!!"

He didn't believe it :lol:

They didn't know the cladding was going to kill people?

Your post reads like you are saying that many months ago when they announced they were going to do the work the queen should have got her Chrystal ball out and said no best spend the money taking all the flammable cladding off the tower blocks as I think they may one day kill people?
Ok,point taken, I still find it an absolute farce though, also,the work being done here for a two hour visit next week is something else,what a complete waste of money,you would think the Queen was coming,oh........

Regarding tourism...it's not just the present monarchy. ..it's the country's history that attracts the tourists...I live in Wales. ..full of English castles, a few of which I've visited. You only have to see and hear the Americans and Japanese when visiting these monuments that they are a big deal...and that's just a derelict bunch of rocks...they must be nearly wetting themselves outside Buckingham palace. ..and spending more than a penny. ..like it or not the royal family attracts visitors who spend a lot.
I do note however that all they own was not earned...many years ago....it was taken and given to custodians for services rendered until a time their services are again required..of which,mainly they still hold.
Or get the public to maintain through the nation trust...

I live in Kent, Clint. We've got loads of English castles too! Along with the gee-wizz and arh-so tourists. I feel your pain. But, they do spend serious money here. The entrance fees to some of our castles are like a small mortgage. Without their contribution we'd be surrounded by piles of rubble. :-?

Digressed a bit there didn't I? Nothing to do with monarchy - sorry...! :doh:...Rant over..I'll go away now....

It's true though....the American history only goes back to just before the cowboys so anything really old gets them excited as does the idea of a "royal" family. It would be like me going to America and seeing all those skyscrapers. ...not that exciting really for those who live in them but a wonder if you've never seen them...

......... its quite easy to see how he could travel that much to help British entrepreneurs. ..........

Er .... they sacked him from that job about six years ago after he spent more time visiting the golf courses of the world rather than representing UK businesses.

The Daily Express article comments:

"The project was launched in the UK to help British
entrepreneurs but last year it went “global”,
giving Andrew the opportunity to fly the world to attend launch events."
He already lives rent-free in a "grace and favour" mansion on his mummy's Windsor Estate and this is the latest wheeze in the "Let's find Andrew a job." initiative.

Never has the phrase "Waste of space." been more appropriate. :doh:

Just to check is treason against forum rules?

The Treason Act of 1795 made it high treason to ...

".. within the realm or without compass, imagine, invent, devise or intend
death or destruction, or any bodily harm tending to death or destruction,
maim or wounding, imprisonment or restraint, of the person of ... the King."
So I think criticising the Royal Family hardly comes close ...

... especially as the original Act was brought into force after George III was stoned on his way to the opening of parliament! :lol: :lol:

Back