The Soup Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a go to Chilli bean soup. I'll find the recipe later as I've bastardised it over a year or so and it's never quite the same twice.

Another favourite of mine was when I worked a four day week. On a friday I'd get all the vegs in the fridge and chop them up.
Heat a bit of oil in a pan and simmer for a while. Then add water, stock cubes and curry powder.
Boil it all up for a while then get the stick out to liquidise it.

Druncans cullen skink! serves a fookin restaurant,,
Two leeks washed and sliced, and two onions. Sweat and caramelise with crushed peppercorns. Add any spare bottom of the fridge vege's. Flour'y tatties winner!!! Cook till tender. Reduce, now add stock. (Naff, Consumer Cubes if you must, but catering fish stock rocks,,) + 250g corn niblets later. At the last minute chuck in yer chunked fishies. Owt is good, oily fish add big biff flavour. But prawns, crab and lobster are more delicate flavours, really only add at the last minute. Then panic, panic, 20g cornflower in cold water add,,,, blend in. last minute cream. Up to you? Please do not over boil,,,,, Enjoy!
Chopped fresh chives over the top,, Add cheesey garlic croutons if you're posh,,,

I haven't read this thread but I have made, until recently, soup on a professional basis for twenty odd years. The "secret" to good soup is 4g of salt per litre. Any other amount will see you out of business! You need to account for salty ingredients such as ham, of course. You could also do with some glutamates from stock or browned meat or veg. (or MSG). This gives a big enhancement to the flavour. It's amazing how little glutamate you need to make it right.

Singaporean style Laksa. Chicken stock, coconut milk, spice paste, seafood, carrots, mange tout and baby corn. Ladle into bowls containing noodles and beansprouts and sprinkle with coriander.

I might have to stop reading this thread, it's making me hungry! Love chilli bean, love Cullen skink, love laksa. Basically I love food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't read this thread but I have made, until recently, soup on a professional basis for twenty odd years. The "secret" to good soup is 4g of salt per litre. Any other amount will see you out of business! You need to account for salty ingredients such as ham, of course. You could also do with some glutamates from stock or browned meat or veg. (or MSG). This gives a big enhancement to the flavour. It's amazing how little glutamate you need to make it right.

Right I'm off to do me a veg oxo - I bet that has 4g of salt per litre when made-up! No bother, I'm on Lisinopril to keep the resulting hypertension in check.

Made pumpkin soup earlier...

......... I like a few drops of hot sauce in mine!

Pumpkin soup? PUMPKIN SOUP?? When you can make beer out of it?

Come on Clint, you're beginning to sound like Jamie Oliver!

"Gently sauté the pumpkin and onions ..." aka "Chuck everything in a saucepan and fry it."

"... bring to a simmer ..." aka "Boil it."

Finally "I like a few drops of hot sauce in mine." Me too. :thumb:

If it isn't quite up to scratch I also throw in a couple of chillies to kill the taste. :lol: :lol:

TBH it looks to be a great Winter Soup ... :thumb:

... but a genuine waste of pumpkin! :nono: :nono:

24m7qme.jpg

Bit big, just in case they needed to see it in the International Space Station.

this is another one I like

Rich chicken noodle soup
from Home Cooked! with Julie Goodwin

This is the recipe as written, I halved the quantities listed below.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1kg chicken thigh fillets, trimmed and sliced
2 brown onions, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, halved lengthwise then sliced
¼ cup plain flour
2 litres chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup risoni pasta
Chopped parsley to serve

http://anemptystomachisthebestcook.blogspot.com.au/2010/12/rich-chicken-soup.html
86YTU

Back