Router on or off?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ON or OFF?

• I switch mine off.

• I leave mine on.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have always switch my router off before leaving the house to go to work or before going to bed (along with anything else that doesn't need to be on) and have never had issues with Digital Line Management (DLM) lowering my speeds, i am about to switch to TalkTalk Faster Fibre and it seems DLM on Fibre is more likely to see the router going off and on as a line fault and reduce my speed, could i ask members what they do and if they are on ADSL or fibre.

Used to turn it off at night.
Now leave it on all the time except when away for more than a couple of days.
At least for copper wire customers like me the time to lock on the the best speed is in daytime with the sun out (latter may be difficult if you live north of Nottingham :whistle:). This is because the actual SRN rises during these conditions and the Exchange kit can increase the speed it provides you to match up with the SRN you have been allocated. That said when the SRN falls at night and if you are struggling to maintain connectivity, especially when other users log on, the Exchange may re-allocate you a lower speed to give you a more stable connection.
I am with TalkTalk too. I used their routers and found them unreliable. So I bought my own and its been rock solid since I installed it, and now I find I am on the lowest SRN setting that TalkTalk provide i.e. downstream 3.

When I started to search for reasons to leave it on or off I was more concerned with losing speed when DLM adjusts your profile I now think I will not leave it on over night if no harm Is caused to the speed as reading about tbe damage EMR may do to us makes for scary reading.

I leave mine on all the time, But every couple of months I unplug it for the night.
The early routers used to slow down a bit if left on permanently so needed rebooting, not sure if the new ones are the same

Leaving it on, several backups run through it unsupervised. Plus the rest of the family wants it on.
But: rebooting it a few times per week, sometimes it needs a preemptive kick in the head :mrgreen:

I have to leave mine on. All the servers that connect my companies besides, now in Japan, tv is now sent through your fiber internet connection. I'm always surprised when I hear of how slow the speeds are in other countries. In Japan most connections are now up to 500 mbs.

I never even new that turning wifi off was a thing, I just assumed everyone was like me and never even looked at the router. Mine have uptimes in the months usually. The one in the garage went over a year once.

Check out Mr Barrie Trower on youtube.

I did and the man looks like a crank to me.

I never even new that turning wifi off was a thing, I just assumed everyone was like me and never even looked at the router. Mine have uptimes in the months usually. The one in the garage went over a year once.

I did and the man looks like a crank to me.

Same here just leave on it. Never experience any speed issues, well o my once when by switched me from fibre to standard for no reason

Another fibre subscriber (fibre to the cabinet), always leave it on. I've got a small server anyway which runs some stuff that needs 24/7 access, also a media centre that I can schedule TV recordings on remotely - not much use if the Internet is disconnected.

Ours is left on constantly, never had any issues but then have a poor speed anyway as live in the country.

I looks like i will have to leave it on as i have been told the router constantly monitors the connection and any adjustments or updates are made in the early hours of the morning.

Latest posts

Back