McStrike.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
£7 an hour in London and zero hours contracts i am not surprised they are on strike.

_97660582_img_20170904_105817216_hdr.jpg

McDonald's workers are staging their first UK strike after walking out at two stores in a dispute over zero-hours contracts and conditions.
Workers at Cambridge and Crayford, south-east London, began the 24-hour action at midnight. A union called it a "brave" move by low-paid staff.
The Bakers, Food and Allied Workers Union said staff wanted a wage of at least £10 an hour and more secure jobs.
McDonald's said the action related to internal grievance procedures, not pay.
Ian Hodson, the union's president, said: "We fully support the historic decision by these brave workers to stand up and fight back against McDonald's - a company that has let them down one too many times.
"For far too long, workers in fast food restaurants such as McDonald's have had to deal with poor working conditions, drastic cuts to employee hours, and even bullying in the workplace - viewed by many as a punishment for joining a union."

Hours cut down

Speaking to the BBC, at a union protest near the Houses of Parliament in London, two of the striking McDonald's employees outlined their grievances.
Shen Batmaz, who serves customers in the company's Crayford branch, said that being on a zero-hours contract meant that some staff were anxious about going to work because they feared being bullied.
"Zero-hours contracts are the reasons why bullying managers can cut down on our shifts drastically," she said.
"When we had a bullying business manager in, when I stood up to him my hours were cut down from four days a week to one.
"A friend had the same shift pattern for five years but when he stood up to the bullying manager, he was cut down from five days a week to one," she said.
Steve Day, a McDonald's worker from Cambridge, said encouraging his colleagues to join the BFAWU and go on strike had been very difficult and 10 staff out of about 90 had travelled to the protest in London.
"We have had managers from everywhere coming into our store, the place has been crawling with them, our main organiser in Cambridge is followed everywhere, it's like we are being policed," he said.

More - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41143869

I wouldn't work in a Mc D's for £50 an hour,what a brain destroying job:twisted:

I am sure most people that work in these types of places would like to do something more interesting this does not give the management the right to bully them over hours, i hate zero hours contracts and they should be made illegal as labour pledged they would be.

Good on them for standing up for themselves... however its such a fine line. When I was 18 most of my classmates as school worked in McDonalds... not because they had to, to live, but because they wanted money for nights out etc. (nothing wrong with that) When I was at uni, I worked part time in a shop on a low wage. This again was fine because I had my student loan to pay for most of my outgoings.

I think the real issue is that people are having to work in McD's as a full time job because they can't find anything else. If I was working their full time I would expect a wage I could live off, however this may not be the case for everyone and £10 per hour is £19,500 per year, full time. Thats more than most graduate jobs are to start with for what is a low skill, service industry role. I am not having a go at fast food workers at all, but when compared with a somellier in a fine dining restaurant for example, there is very little knowledge needed to do the role. Starting out, I was on less than that as an Assistant Manager at a clothing store and about the same as a food buyer.

I think the problem is bigger than just one company and this should be addressed.

On a side note, they should scrap zero hour contracts but they should bring in a voluntary flexible working contract in its place. Some companies use them as a way to provide flexible working for both themselves and the employee and when combined with a generous hourly wage can be useful for companies and employees.

£10 per hour is £19,500 per year, full time. Thats more than most graduate jobs are to start with for what is a low skill, service industry role.

Its the classic game of cat n mouse, you ask for £10 they offer £7:50 you come back with £9:50 and the game continues until you reach something acceptable at the end of the day any rise is better than nothing which is what i imagine they were going to get for the foreseeable future.

The thing is unless these protesters are anyway successful Mcdonald will sack them all...because they can...with no reason. Within the next few years the minimum wage will be £10 + per hour for over 21's (I think!) no matter what job you are doing.
One thing I really detest is bullying managers...I wonder if McDonald's condone this behaviour or would their chief of personnel be truly horrified and shocked it is happening within the business and seek those responsible and sack THEM? I doubt it...

The thing is unless these protesters are anyway successful Mcdonald will sack them all...because they can...with no reason. Within the next few years the minimum wage will be £10 + per hour for over 21's (I think!) no matter what job you are doing.

I would normally agree but the fact they are now union members and its now all over the news may just stop them, they have been accused of having bullying managers who reduce staff hours if they don't like them imagine the uproar if they sacked those who have gone on strike.

Depends whether they have official recognition. This doesn't have to be company wide just 10% of a section ie shopfloor workers per outlet. As long as they go through the correct procedure to get recognised the company legally has to accept this decision from its workers.
I worked for a company many years ago where wage divide between people doing the same job was massive...in my case I was getting around £3600 LESS per year...yeah not funny. On the shopfloor we decided union membership was needed so we went about it correctly,the company kicked up a right stink and point blank refused saying the office lot "didn't want" a union...our union rep explained they weren't included! Just us (bargaining group). They refused until the last day they had when the legal notification ran out.
Yes I got my £3600 pay rise...as did a lot of others! And yes the place is still open and very busy.

Many moons ago I worked for McDonalds whilst at college and uni holidays and although it was hard work it was great fun because nearly everyone was of a similar ago doing the same thing - working for beer money. At the time the money was decent. Full time staff had minimum hours but most staff were part time and were given their shifts two weeks in advance with plenty of people to swap with etc.

Did me no harm working there. For various reasons it stands out in a cv. When I went for an interview with my current employer which is a million miles away from Mcdonalds all we talked about was burgers and Mcdonalds

Latest posts

Back