No airlock activity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafbach

Reaction score
On the 6th Sept I brewed an AG Oatmeal Stout. The OG was at 1.060 and I used Safale 04.

There has been no airlock activity so I took a sample this morning to test the gravity, which is down to 1.020.

I'm using a screw top FV with the rubber bung and a conventional airlock with the red top. I'm pretty sure that the rubber bung is as tight as it can go and the airlock is sitting where it would normally sit. The screw top lid is really tight and I used Vaseline as a means of getting a better seal.

In the 20 or so brews I have made this is the first where there is no movement.

I have another similar FV and will probably exchange lids, rubber and airlock.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

On the 6th Sept I brewed an AG Oatmeal Stout. The OG was at 1.060 and I used Safale 04.

There has been no airlock activity so I took a sample this morning to test the gravity, which is down to 1.020.

I'm using a screw top FV with the rubber bung and a conventional airlock with the red top. I'm pretty sure that the rubber bung is as tight as it can go and the airlock is sitting where it would normally sit. The screw top lid is really tight and I used Vaseline as a means of getting a better seal.

In the 20 or so brews I have made this is the first where there is no movement.

I have another similar FV and will probably exchange lids, rubber and airlock.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Sorted, changed the above as described and it's now chugging away nicely. Rubber bung into the bin!

You don't really need a tight seal. As you've discovered it will happily do its thing without being airtight. As long as it is covered well to stop any nasties falling in it will be fine without being airtight.

Unless you like to just sit and watch the bubbles of course.

I ditched the airlock, I just sellotape a folded square of tissue over the grommet in the lid of the FV, the CO2 gets out and no nasties get in. Also when I pick up the FV on bottling day it's not trying to suck the liquid out of the airlock into the beer. Saying that though, I do have a soft spot for the S bend airlocks, I just love the sound of them bubbling away.

I reckon at least 30% of my brews show no sign of life through a blow-off tube or an air-lock.

Luckily, my FV's are plastic so I can just see the dirty line caused by the krausen and the slow build up of trub, so I just leave it alone for two weeks before taking an SG.

In brief - don't worry. :thumb:

You don't really need a tight seal. As you've discovered it will happily do its thing without being airtight. As long as it is covered well to stop any nasties falling in it will be fine without being airtight.

Unless you like to just sit and watch the bubbles of course.

Sitting and watching bubbles is so satisfying. :mrgreen:

I ditched the airlock, I just sellotape a folded square of tissue over the grommet in the lid of the FV, the CO2 gets out and no nasties get in. Also when I pick up the FV on bottling day it's not trying to suck the liquid out of the airlock into the beer. Saying that though, I do have a soft spot for the S bend airlocks, I just love the sound of them bubbling away.
Bought one today with the rubber bung to get my second brew fermenting in the drum type fv with the kk type cap,bubbling away marvellously, well contented

... if it's in the right closet with the right acoustics the whole house seems to have a *bloob* heartbeat.

Bloobing airlocks are good!

not when it keeps your wife awake at night. I've had to change to the stubby quieter ones.

Back