TUC warns against 'cherry-picking' some workers for pay rises

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My wife works in a dementia unit in a care home the wage is a joke when you consider the job they do and the amount of training involved, why do police and prison officers deserve more than the 1% my wife and her colleagues get each year. :mad:

The whole public sector needs a pay rise, the TUC's general secretary has said as she warned ministers against "cherry-picking" certain workers.
Frances O'Grady told the TUC's annual conference that workers had had enough after seven years of pay freezes and caps being "imposed" on them.
The BBC understands ministers will lift the 1% public pay cap for the first time, for police and prison officers.
But they have been warned any increase must be fully funded by the government.
Public sector pay was frozen for two years in 2010, except for those earning less than £21,000 a year, and since 2013, rises have been capped at 1% - below the rate of inflation. more -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41224989

Probably becuase the police an prison officers are more visable and there are more visable consequences if you cant attract sufficient numbers of police/prison officer - witness all the riots/drugs/mayhem in prisons currently because noone wants to work there. This of course has an knock on effect to politicians not seen to be doing their job

completely agree, not that police don't deserve a pay rise but how the government can say they can't allow for pay rises across the whole of the public sector... they are making one job more "worthwhile" than the next.

I know MPs pay is done by an "independent body" but frankly I don't care. My tax money should be going to those working to make the country a better place, not those sat around arguing the toss....

Back