Two mead batches

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajhutch

Landlord.
Reaction score
As I strive to correct the errors I made in my first melomel I've put two batches of honey goodness on tonight. I love the speed of these, I don't have time to brew beer at the moment with a newborn but my wife went to bed when the little one was asleep tonight and an hour and a bit later I was done and cleaned up. Just rehydrating the yeast now to pitch before bed.

Batch 1 - 4.5 litres cherry melomel

1.5kg Acacia honey (Lidl)
700g frozen cherries (2 jars from Lidl)
1 bottle Lowicz cherry
1tsp pectolase

Batch 2 - 9 litres traditional mead

6lbs orange blossom honey (a seller on Amazon)

Both batches into fermenting buckets. They will both get staggered nutrient additions with youngs nutrient and both get a pack of crossmyloof yeast rehydrated as per pack instructions

Batch 1 should be very cherry forward, I'd rather go too much than too little on this first attempt at it.

Batch 2 will be split at racking with one DJ staying traditional and one DJ infused with dried elderflowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxygenated a few times today and added second batch of nutrients tonight. Both have been bulging the lids and throwing off a huge foam when I whipped them up, this yeast is off to a highly impressive start!

The CML yeast is an absolute monster. After 10 days the cherry is down to 1.006 and traditional (which had double the volume but the same amount of yeast) down to 1.016. As I'm going to be really busy for a few weeks I've racked them into DJs and put them away for a while. I've added 1tsp dried elderflowers rehydrated in boiled water to one DJ of the traditional. The samples taste decent, more cherry aroma than flavour on that one and the traditional is a little hot but they are still babies. Time to forget they are even there!

What OG did these start at?

My orange blossom made with S-04 has hit 1.004 from 1.062 in 10 days, decided that was dry enough so have stabilised and going to rack into demijohns tomorrow as it looks like the yeast has settled out again.

I didn't measure but I did some calculations and I was targeting in the 1.095 area. I started with more than 4.5l on the melomel to be sure that when I racked from bucket to DJ I got 4.5l in there after fruit pulp loss, so there's some wastage there.

Latest posts

Back