Ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Today I am going to brew a Wilko IPA with added hops. I have only tried using hops once before when I made a Coopers IPA on 3rd April this year but this ended in disaster with an infected Brew!!!
I would therefore like some feedback 0n the following.
Will I 40 pint IPA
Planning to reduce to 21L
Using 1kg Brewing Sugar
500g Muntons Beer Enhancer
After I've dissolved the BS/Enhancer in lot I plan to add 25g of Cascade & 25g of Citra and boil for 5 mins.
Any advice on this or amounts I am using will be gratefully appreciated. Ty

I wouldn't boil anything. You're going to end up losing the hop profile from the existing extract. Why not use your hops for dry hopping a few days before bottling?

I'd just add the hops after 1 week for 5 days really bring out the flavour, is probably also try and use less brewing sugar and more light extract as it will be really thin at the end you probably got 1250g of sugar to 250g dried malt extract in that recipe,

I'd just add the hops after 1 week for 5 days really bring out the flavour, is probably also try and use less brewing sugar and more light extract as it will be really thin at the end you probably got 1250g of sugar to 250g dried malt extract in that recipe,
As above
can you not drop the sugar altogether and add more B.E or some spraymalt instead.And as mc phail,why not just dry hop:thumb:

After what you have recommended I will now just dry hop. The reason I was going to use 1kg of bs is one I have two Wilko's IPA kits I have 2 1kg bags of bs and 1 x 1kg bag of muntons beer enhancer. I obviously want to make it as cheap as I can within reason. Also I don't want a beer that doesn't have at least a bit of a kick 4% minimum..
Any comments?

Buy a bag of dried extract and go for half and half at very most I'd say, bout 4 quid for a 500g bag of light dried extract from wilko, so that and 500g bs and maybe your 500g brew enhancer too, for a couple of quid extra will notice the difference in product

Should still be 4.5-5% with 500g each and
6% if u add brww enhancer too assuming that's 250g each of dried extract and brewing sugar

as a matter of interest does syrup ferment totally like sugar? for example what amount of syrup would u use in place of say 500g or 1kg of sugar?

Back