Speeding up brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No chill substantially changes the beer. The continued heat affects the alpha acids from late hopping, destroying the lighter elements and causing isomerisation and therefore extra bitterness. It may work for some styles but if you want a late hopped flavour you need to rely on dry hopping. My beers are vastly better using an immersion chiller because I like my late hopping.

Bugger. I knew there had to be some catch to this excellent time and water saving idea. I like my hoppy beers... :-(

I have been mashing extra grain and doing a second batch from it. Seems to save me some time. I have 30l waiting to ferment here i made from a 7kg grain bill. Regarding no chill if there are any additions other than 60m i drop the wort down to around 75c, do a hop stand then put in the cube. 5 minutes of chilling will normally do for me.

I like the sound of this. Do you pitch and ferment in the jerry can or do you transfer to an FV when cooled?

I may give this a go. I love the CFC, but I reckon I could save an hour transferring hot with no CFC clean up.

Im not sure how using the CFC can add an hour.
Assuming you’d still use the pump to get the hot wort into the fv that’d take exactly the same time. When you clean up you need to leave the cip cleaner in contact for 15 minutes anyway so the only time I’d see you saving is a couple of minutes flushing cold water thru the chiller and a couple of minutes getting the water out. What am I missing?

Darn your logic. :) Yes, you might be right. I do take longer than all those times, but I am new to the GF and probably a bit slow. But yes, maybe not an hour saved.

Can I ask, out of interest, how do you get the water out of the CFC? I always seem to have some left.

Assuming you’d still use the pump to get the hot wort into the fv that’d take exactly the same time.

Hang on a minute, I just had a thought (it does not happen often).
I've been throttling my wort flow right down so that I can save water: slower wort flow needs less cold water flow to cool it.

But it has just dawned on me... slow wort flow takes 5 times longer to empty boiler, so 5 times more water needed at slow flow rate = same amount of water used. :doh:

Am I being thick? Should I just empty the boiler into the FV at maximum flow rate, and turn the water flow rate up to whatever is needed to cool the wort?

No chill substantially changes the beer. The continued heat affects the alpha acids from late hopping, destroying the lighter elements and causing isomerisation and therefore extra bitterness. It may work for some styles but if you want a late hopped flavour you need to rely on dry hopping. My beers are vastly better using an immersion chiller because I like my late hopping.

I have found that same problem, I have been doing this method using no chill.
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/late-hopping-and-no-chilling-guide.55801/

Darn your logic. :) Yes, you might be right. I do take longer than all those times, but I am new to the GF and probably a bit slow. But yes, maybe not an hour saved.

Can I ask, out of interest, how do you get the water out of the CFC? I always seem to have some left.

I use a pump, doesn’t take long that way.

I filter the hops out using a sieve before the wort goes in the the no chill FV and for whirl pool/flame out hops I just wait till the wort is below 80C before I add chuck em. This method works fine for me

With the jerry can you stand it on its sides to ensure that the heat sanitises all of the inside. You couldn't do that with a fermenter.

More importantly, it contracts as it cools. The jerry sucks in its sides but the fermenter would suck air in through the airlock.

This is true. I cover my no chill FV with cling film and it just suck the cling film down so it goes convex but no air gets in

So you'd still add your 60 min hops for bitterness, but leave all the aroma hops until your wort had cooled? e.g. 10 and 5 min additions just added to the wort as it cools in the cube, or dry hopped in the FV?

Hi!
Yes - only the bittering hops go in the boil.
I have read somewhere that fermentation can reduce flavour and aroma of hop additions, so I dry hop with the flavour and aroma hops while the beer is cold conditioning.

Back