3rd brew- Brewferm Abdij

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got this on yesterday with 500g of dark candi sugar. I underestimated the volume of the extract and prepped too much water, so was over the volume and thus under the OG, but I made it back up to 1067 with some brown sugar.

I then forgot to check the water temp before pitching, but it felt about right. Just a touch above room temp.

It went off like a mad thing, and this morning about 14 hours after pitching it had about 6 inches of krausen on.

I just got home at half nine and checked it again. It smells very strange, almost sort of sour. I've not used a Belgian yeast before, do they all smell like this?

It's also developed strange white lumps around the edge of the krausen. I did wonder if it was infected (I used an unsterilised thermometer to check the water I was rehydrating yeast in, rookie mistake), but if I've learned anything from this forum it's that beer is a damned sight more resilient than people give it credit for. So I drew a sample and I think it tastes fine, although the SG has dropped 20 points in 26 hours.

Anyway, keeping the fingers crossed, because I'm looking forward to trying this one!

The brewferm kits go like the. Clappers, its fine, leave it alone.

My diablo was done in 3 days, but still give it at least a week before checking

Sounds like it's off to a flying start! Stop fiddling with it...

I know! First time I've lifted the lid on a brew between pitching and bottling, and all because it smelled a bit funny. It really does smell sour though, you can smell it from the front door!

I'll keep my mitts off.

Checked this today after 12 days in the FV. We've had a cold snap and it was sat at 16c, but the SG is about 1006 so I think it's probably done. I've given it a swirl and stuck it next to the radiator to get it back to temp range just in case, and will check over the next couple of days. All being well, I'll bottle on Saturday.

So I don't want to be "that newbie" but the missus is insisting these white patches are mold and now she's got me worried, especially in conjunction with the weird sour smell that it still has. I'd just been assuming it was **** from the yeast.
151016848085126512275.jpg

Ta :) mind at rest.

Do you skim it off before bottling? Can't imagine how else you'd stop it getting in the bottles.

I could stick the FV in the shed, but that's about as close as I can get :lol:

**** all! But neither do I, so I got worried.

She's not my wife though, merely long-term, live-in girlfriend. Essentially a wife without the ring, bless her :lol:

I did indeed. Rehydrated first with a little brown sugar to get it started.

So i skimmed the **** off with a sterilised slotted spoon and bottled this on saturday. Tasted a little funky, but I'm confident it'll be nice after some conditioning time. I'll try one over xmas and then probably one every month or so to see how it changes... If I can keep my mitts off for that long :lol:

I keep being told that's the optimum age, and I will try very hard to keep the majority back until then. But I'm also interested to see how it changes over time.

Latest posts

Back