stalled sweet showmead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a stalled sweet showmead on D47, still very unclear at 2 months and not as much sediment as the (very clear) demisweet next to it. Already gave it a good sanitised stir, added a teaspoon of nutrients and it started to foam juuust a bit so I'll leave it for a week.
Thing is: what to do now?
Either it worked and it chugs along to 1020.
Or it didn't work and I can up the temperature a bit, or pitch 1116 or 1118, with the risk of making it too dry.
Or I could wait whatever happens in secondary (transfering as per schedule next weekend). Maybe it Frankensteins back up again.
OR

Can I use it as a base for Sbiten? The russian honeybased winterdrink? Anyone ever done that before?

If you’re worried about 1118 taking it too dry, what about running off some into a growler or a large glass bottle and adding some 1118 to that, cover it in a piece of foil so it doesn’t explode. Then if that does dry it right out you can blend back into the mother batch to the right sweetness

What was your OG? I have made a mead before that finished at 1045. I was horrified but it was really nice. I used 2kg of honey in that and i did repitch but hardly made a difference. My preference now is to ferment it dry at around 14/15% then sweeten up with more honey

Interesting @beercat. I’ve got some commercial mead which I found awfully sickly sweet. I took a gravity reading and it is 1.030. I’m liking mine at around 1.015 maximum.

What was your OG? I have made a mead before that finished at 1045. I was horrified but it was really nice. I used 2kg of honey in that and i did repitch but hardly made a difference. My preference now is to ferment it dry at around 14/15% then sweeten up with more honey

OG=1116. A 4 liter batch of water, honey, nutrient and yeast.
1045 isn't too sweet? ABV would be 9%. Hm, it wouldn't be a problem if only it would clear up.

Interesting @beercat. I’ve got some commercial mead which I found awfully sickly sweet. I took a gravity reading and it is 1.030. I’m liking mine at around 1.015 maximum.

That's what I was afraid of: it's very sweet now but I can't get a proper taste just from licking the racking cane used as a stirring rod :lol:
Time I did some proper gravity reading then. This weekend, not earlier.

1045 is very sweet but its not so bad when backed up by loads of alcohol. If its too sweet for you brew another batch dry and blend it. All commercial mead i have tried (Polish) was very sweet by the way.
Has anyone tried using mead in cocktails? I reckon mixed with spirits would be ace.

Maybe treat some sourer fruit (raspberries, blackberries, that sort of thing) with pectinaze, and add it in to secondary? It might trigger a second ferment, but also the sourness from the fruit should hopefully offset the sweetness for you.

Maybe treat some sourer fruit (raspberries, blackberries, that sort of thing) with pectinaze, and add it in to secondary? It might trigger a second ferment, but also the sourness from the fruit should hopefully offset the sweetness for you.

My first mead was sickeningly sweet too, threw the batch into tertiary with champagne yeast and either cherries or cranberries. That was around July, haven't checked on them since bottling in around August :lol:

But these meads are showmeads, I'd hate to mess them up again. Just racked them: the semi-sweet is doing okay, very clear, the sweet one is still hazy.

20170727_150910_HDR.jpg

20170727_135715_HDR.jpg

Back