New cider press - best practice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pb1uk

Reaction score
Hi all,

After 2 years of pressing apples with cling filmed paving slaps, a car jack and a black and decker workmate i finally made the decision to buy a proper press.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on:
- how to clean before/after use
- how to maintain it
- any advice on best practice
- how to wash pressing bags

Any advice/hints/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

An allied question, if I might, addressed to those who own and/or use a basket press with a screw shaft and a ratchet head. What do you use to lubricate the screw shaft so that the ratchet descends smoothly? Having finished this year's pressings, I was about to commence my maintenance of the press and use lithium grease on the screw shaft. But my wife gainsaid, justifying her position by saying that when the press is full of grapes or pomace a significant part of the screw shaft, so lubricated, will be in direct contact with the fruit. She suggested using rapeseed or sunflower oil but I don't think an oil, whether vegetable, mineral or animal, is appropriate or sufficiently robust for this purpose. However I don't know of a fruit or vegetable based grease. Any sensible suggestions, ideally based on actual experience, will be much appreciated.

When I bought my press a few years back it came with a little pot of food grade "grease" (vegetable based I believe). It hasn't run out yet so I've not had to worry about replacing but a quick internet search seems to suggest there are plenty of such products available, though if need be I would go back to the press manufacturer for advice (they are very local to me but they are a very well known supplier).
I would have though any similar food safe animal or vegetable derived product would be fine?

An allied question, if I might, addressed to those who own and/or use a basket press with a screw shaft and a ratchet head. What do you use to lubricate the screw shaft so that the ratchet descends smoothly? Having finished this year's pressings, I was about to commence my maintenance of the press and use lithium grease on the screw shaft. But my wife gainsaid, justifying her position by saying that when the press is full of grapes or pomace a significant part of the screw shaft, so lubricated, will be in direct contact with the fruit. She suggested using rapeseed or sunflower oil but I don't think an oil, whether vegetable, mineral or animal, is appropriate or sufficiently robust for this purpose. However I don't know of a fruit or vegetable based grease. Any sensible suggestions, ideally based on actual experience, will be much appreciated.
Agree that a food grade flavourless oil is suitable, though not long lasting.
You have to be careful with manufactured grease that it is suitable for food use. Not all are suitable for food contact. Need a grease that is refered to as a 3H grease,

Many sellers will say their grease is suitable for food use. In that it is not petroleum based, so won't flavour taint the food. Ment for internal use. No wd40 in a food factory.
So not all lithium based grease are food safe. Need one saying food safe. Retail, tend to be expensive
Personally I stick with veg oil, which needs washing off before use, because it's gone off, dry and reapply.
Arco do a Buffalo food grade lube in a spray can which is ok

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Agree that a food grade flavourless oil is suitable, though not long lasting.
You have to be careful with manufactured grease that it is suitable for food use. Not all are suitable for food contact. Need a grease that is refered to as a 3H / food safe grease,

Many sellers will say their grease is suitable for food use. In that it is not petroleum based, so won't flavour taint the food. Ment for internal use. No wd40 in a food factory.
So not all lithium based grease are food safe.
Personally I stick with veg oil, which needs washing come next year, because it's gone off, dry and reapply. Don't put too much on as it can become tacky.
Arco do a Buffalo food grade lube in a spray can which is ok

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thank you, both. I'll use the information you've supplied as the basis for an internet search and see what comes up. However I'm probably going to need to use a fair amount of lubricant. The screw shaft on my press is 135cm long and has a 5 cm diameter.

Thank you, both. I'll use the information you've supplied as the basis for an internet search and see what comes up. However I'm probably going to need to use a fair amount of lubricant. The screw shaft on my press is 135cm long and has a 5 cm diameter.

Wow, that must be quite a press you have there!

Let us know what you go for in the end....

Will do. In the meantime, here's a photograph of my press.

P1070832.jpg

Back