Brewing advice needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primera16

Reaction score
got a muntons gold highland heavy ale kit coming and i just wanted to ask some questions,

1. how much difference if any would using a good bottled water make? (when i look in my kettle that ive had for 3 yrs i see no limescale)
2. how often should i stir the brew or should i just stir the wort at the start and then leave it alone?
3. how often should i check the gravity?
4. is it worth me buying proper priming sugar or will caster sugar b ok? also is there any way of sterilizing the sugar before use?

ive also bought a safale s04 yeast to replace the kit yeast.

any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

(1) As long as your water doesn't have a strong chlorine smell for a kit you should be fine.

(2) Aerate (stir) the wort vigorously before pitching the yeast, then leave it. The yeast will produce CO2 to prevent oxidisation. If you stir it you will introduce air into it.

(3) Check gravity before pitching the yeast, then after about a week(ish)

(4) Normal sugar will be fine, some use it as is, some boil in water before adding

:cheers:

cheers matty,
think thats where i went wrong last time to eager to open the lid and take gravity readings, i'll do as u say and leave it for at least a week.

Back