How to remove bottle labels the easy way.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one chippy...
but a dish washer will do the same...
by the way I don't work for Bosch or endorse any of there fantastically engineered products that are proven to last:mrgreen:

I dont have a dish washer (well not an electric one) do they have a filter to collect all the pieces of label?

Simply the best been using for a long time. When I put my own labels back on the bottles I paste the labels with milk. They come off under the tap with warm water

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I stick all my bottles and jars into my dishwasher, only about half the labels come off, I recycle the ones that don't on the assumption that if the dishwasher won't do it nothing will. Haven't tried the OP method. [yet]

I put a load (20+) of empties in a large black plastic bin full of water and left them for a couple of weeks. Went into the garden before and took them off with steel wool in less than 10 minutes; literally fell off.

I will try washing soda and see if it is any better than washing up liquid and a soak overnight. Usually by morning they are soft enough to scrape off leaving just a few bits left, that a stainless scouring pad takes off completely. Then it goes in the dishwasher. I don't want to gunge that up as it is magic - and runs on sunshine and pixiedust :lol:

Consider tough labels punishment for being a tight git...buy new bottles :grin:

Sharp knife and steel wool, furniture polish for stubborn glue.

Am I the only nerd who actually attempts to get the labels off in one piece so I can keep them? Judging by the number of beer bottle labels for sale on ebay, obviously not...

Up to now the worst I've found are from St Austell brewery on Proper Job and Tribute..plastic label stuck on with glue. Hot water will not shift these..or remove the glue..peeled them off leaving a sticky patch that only solvent would clear...I'm used to resins,glues and solvents as I use them by the ton in work and even I thought these were the work of the devil...recent empties just got a good scalding out and then sterilised on bottle day..

regards

Clint

I just soak them in warm soapy water for an hour until the labels peel off then us white spirit soaked dish washing sponge/ scourer to remove the glue

find yourself a friendly local pub who sell Koppaberg cider and get them to save you the bottles.

After a couple of minutes in warm water, the labels just fall off.

Also the bottles are a really nice sort of khaki colour glass.

They don't work with hand cappers though...

Good tip about the Kopaberg bottles. Whilst a hand capper struggles I find doing it both sides and it works fine. Best bottles bar none are erdinger. Labels peel right off after a short soak and they are tough as anything.

I like a brew dog now and then and i also like using the smaller 330ml bottles. labels tear off:thumb:and the glue can be a little stubborn but a scourer will cure that:thumb:

Latest posts

Back