Cheap no chill containers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a good deal, doesn't really mention hot liquids but the material should be fine with it.

You'll have to update once you have it as I plan a no chill double brew day next time I get a chance.

@photek1000 Will let you know how it handles hot liquid. If not will use it to store water in for brewdays as it takes a day or so to collect it all. Thought it might be worth a go. I have mailed sellers on ebay before about boiling liquids but they did not know.
@Soton £5.80 even cheaper. Thanks for the link.

What do you think of having a tap? Is that just another possibility of infection and hard to clean?

Found this on ebvay earlier and had to order one at �£6.50 with free postage. 25 Litre Plastic Water Containers Carrier Drumhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202005237654

Would I be ok to drill for an airlock and ferment wine in this? Darn good price versus a 5 gal fermenter from a shop.

Would I be ok to drill for an airlock and ferment wine in this? Darn good price versus a 5 gal fermenter from a shop.

Yes it would be fine but a nightmare to clean. The FV's with a 4" hole are bad enough so i would not personally.

I had some old 25l containers and when i opened them there were deposits inside i just could not clean.

Yes it would be fine but a nightmare to clean. The FV's with a 4" hole are bad enough so i would not personally.

I had some old 25l containers and when i opened them there were deposits inside i just could not clean.

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Shame about that, thought I was going to save a few bob there.:)

What do you think of having a tap? Is that just another possibility of infection and hard to clean?

I know it sounds a little counter intuitive, but I think I'd prefer the plain cap at 70p more, less to go wrong when using it as a No Chill Cube.

I use those, theyre ok with the heat; although the handles go a bit flexible. I don't move them very far until they cool and stiffen a bit.

I have 5 of them and they're fine for no chill though they do expand with the heat.You can pour direct from the kettle and keep for a few weeks as well if you're not in a hurry to pitch yeast.
Have used them as fermenters and cleaned easily with oxyclean and rice.
1495658329662.jpg

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Shame about that, thought I was going to save a few bob there.:)
Hi!
You should be perfectly fine if you start with a new cube and clean it immediately after use.
See the post by @Gerryjo just above this one. I plan to ferment under pressure in one of these.
Fitting an air lock: I would drill through the cap and fit it there.
However, if you put the cap on but don't tighten it up you won't need an airlock.

Back