Clove ginger wine help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dianamyte

Reaction score
A number of years ago I made one gallon of clove ginger wine and subsequently lost the recipe. It might have been in a book from the library. I vaguely remember there was lemon juice and maybe raisins. It was medium, not too sweet, and most enjoyable as a mixer for dark rum. I'd love to try it again if anyone out there has a recipe.

Dug this recipe off another Forum. Presumably it is to make one 4.5 litre DJ of wine.

INGREDIENTS

Clove 30g
Light brown sugar 1.5Kg
Ginger 30g
Lemons 3
Seville orange 1
Water 4.5 litres
Yeast and nutrient

METHOD

Grate the peel from the oranges and lemon, avoiding the white pith, put in a muslin bag with the cloves and bruised ginger. Boil the water, drop in the bag, and simmer for an hour.

Take out the bag, put sugar in polythene bucket and pour over boiling water. Stir to dissolve sugar, add the yeast nutrient and juice of oranges & lemons.

Allow to cool to 21oC then add yeast.

Leave closely covered for 4 days in a warm place then stir, pour in to a fermenting jar and fit an air lock.

Leave till it clears then siphon off for the first time.

When the wine has cleared completely, thrown a second sediment, and fermentation has ceased, bottle.

Personally, before pitching the yeast, I would add a cup of strong tea and a teaspoonful of Pectolase to add tannin and improve clarity respectively.

Really kind of you, thank you. I did actually find this one too - it's from CJJ Berry's book - but I'm sure I didn't use a seville orange.

I like the sound of this although I would save myself the bother of the orange and lemons and just use a litre of orange juice and a litre of apple in the mix.

Thank you. That's a really interesting idea. I'm still not sure about the orange, whether the acidity balance would be right. I suppose this is going to have to be experimental.

Following CJJ Berry's recipe and advice from Dutto and OldPeculier
I used an ounce (30g) of cloves, an ounce an a half (45g) of root ginger, peeled and sliced, pared the rinds of 3 unwaxed lemons and one large, scrubbed orange and simmered all that in a jelly bag for an hour. Then added 3lb of light brown sugar. That’s a LOT of sugar! Not sure now whether I should use the litre of apple and pear (not from concentrate) that I bought because they were out of stock of apple juice.
Added a cup of strong Kenya tea, 12 fl oz (355ml) and a litre of Saisbury's smooth orange juice.
Only got a scant 3.5 fl oz (100 ml) of lemon juice from my 3 lemons.
Added 1 sachet Wilko Gervin universal wine yeast. My Di-ammonium phosphate has gone into a lump so I’ll chisel a bit off and dissolve it. The demijohn is now sitting on the heat tray next to my Wilko Cab Sauv and I'll report on its progress.

Second racking today. It's not very clear, not too sweet and it's not very alcoholic but it's quite palatable. I think there was too much orange juice in the must and that's probably why it didn't ferment out and still has a predominantly orangey flavour. It'll do for this year but I'll try again in 2018.

UPDATE on clove ginger wine. It wasn't at all the same as the lost recipe but was quite pleasant on its own, a bit disappointing with rum, but made a really exciting whisky mac! All gone now. Thanks for your interest.

Latest posts

Back