Best beer glass?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got the Spieglau set of IPA, tulip, wheat and lager glasses so I use them dependent on style, although I prefer my Tennants glass to the lager one for golden ales, pales and lagers. The IPA one smashed so I replaced it with a Brewdog branded one.

I've got a rounded Guinness glass that I'm quite enjoying for a variety of beers, it kept the head on a wheat beer better than the straight pint glass I've got. I bought a nice wide tulip glass at a beer shop last week which I'm liking too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've also got Spiegelau glasses, IPA, Stout and Barrel-Aged. Not used the stout yet but the other two are nice. Not sure they make a massive difference but they are pretty and a bit of fun. Also got 2 brewdog half pint tulips which were my go to before the Spiegelau, got 2 BD teku glasses but only used when my wife buys Kriek. There is something to be said for using my heavy, old-school dimpled tankard though, especially for a pint of bitter. :-)

I like the dimpled handled 1 pint glasses personally. No worries about the glass slipping if your fingers are wet, and no heat transfer.

I've got one of those somewhere, and a pewter tankard. Must dig them out! Meanwhile it's a straight- sided glass.

I’ve got the lot, got suckered in to buying the Brewdog set. They are nice glasses and I think it makes a difference when drinking a really strong dark beer or DIPA to drink it in traditionally correct glass. Other then that I think how you store and serve it makes more of a difference. Most of the time I use my late fathers set of traditional bubble pint glasses with a handle; purely for nostalgia.

Yup, they’re ok for bright beer, my newbie home brew isn’t exaclty good for a second pour.

Anyone able to recommend me which beer glasses to buy?

Currently I use straight sided pub type glasses and find they don’t really promote head retention? Would
A tulip shaped glass be better??

A weiss glass for larger volumes 500ml and a duvel tulip glass for smaller ones 330.

to aid head retention rinse and dry glass thorougly. any trace of rinse aid or washing up liquid will also kill head retention.

I have to wet my glass and super chill to stop it foaming all over the place with my whose gaarden beer:oops:

I have to wet my glass and super chill to stop it foaming all over the place with my whose gaarden beer:oops:

Bah - my idiosyncrasy is no longer my own! Even clean from the cupboard I wash my pint pot then rinse the hell out of it. Into the freezer ( ye, freezer ) it goes for 10 minutes. Pour beer immediately the glass is removed and while it is covered in frost. It minimises foaming and forms the tightest, densest and persistent of heads and looks great as it defrosts and the glass is covered with water droplets just like in the teevee ads! Watch how many folk try this tonight and report back with results!

My brother-in-law, works as a maintenance guy on a large country estate with a manor house, tied cottages etc. When one resident, an old boy, passed away, my bro-in-law had to go in and clean out his belongings (no relatives to do so) and get the cottage ready to be refurbished.

Anyway, long story short, he managed to come away with this straight sided pint glass, we reckon it's from the 40s or 50s. It's an amazing glass. The amazing thing about it is that it is made of such thin glass and is so incredibly light, it feels lighter than air.

I love drinking out of it, it's such a lovely glass, we're going to see them this weekend so I hope to be able to use it again and I'm probably looking forward to that more than anything!

It has set me on a quest, as yet unfulfilled, to find a similar glass and I am always going in to charity shops and antique places to try and find one. As yet, no luck!

My favourite glass at home is a Moretti Pint Goblet: https://www.brewerianauk.com/product-page/birra-moretti-glass-chalice-pint-20oz

So many,probably different each night for me

8A633300-735B-42C4-89F6-795DFBF16602.jpg

4A42CB92-D013-45A9-B512-DD19B7B61234.jpg

That's proper rubbish....but in a good way!! I bet you can't wait to drag that out for a weekend once a year. A bit like my father Christmas tea pot...horrendous,tacky but just the ticket for a festive cuppa and gets a few smiles from any free loaders that turn up.

I have this set

Love the " pint " glass for every day use, but the tulip is fab for dark beers.

IMG_0154.JPG

I like a nice tankard, I have a stone tankard which was gifted to me from a bar in northern germany, and a traditionally made leather and pitch tankard from the mary rose museum. The leather tankard is a nice touch, but it smells a bit funny when drinking out of it. My favourite is the stone tankard, it freezes well and beer pours great. the only downside is you can't see the beer... which is great if it's not clear :D

SWMBO broke my favourite glass! :doh: It was a 750ml glass that held a 650ml bottle of beer with head.

I failed to find a replacement 750ml glass, so on the basis that the Germans know how to drink beer, I bought a couple of their one litre glasses. They weigh a ton but a full one of an evening fair sets me on the road to happiness. :thumb:

Then my Uncle (who also knows how to drink beer) presented me with a 750ml stein from his MCFC collection. Superb in the summer and for showing off! :thumb:

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

Latest posts

Back