Best beer glass?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWMBO broke my favourite glass! :doh: It was a 750ml glass that held a 650ml bottle of beer with head.

I failed to find a replacement 750ml glass, so on the basis that the Germans know how to drink beer, I bought a couple of their one litre glasses. They weigh a ton but a full one of an evening fair sets me on the road to happiness.

Then my Uncle (who also knows how to drink beer) presented me with a 750ml stein from his MCFC collection. Superb in the summer and for showing off!

View attachment 11208

View attachment 11209

Remember this Thread?

I hate quoting myself but since Posting the above, I discovered a superb glass in my local Aldi that holds well over a pint and can accommodate a 650ml bottle of beer!

IMG_1581.jpg

So, the MCFC stein goes back on the shelf, the one litre heavyweights have gone to the local auction and SWMBO isn't allowed to touch the new glasses (I bought two).

DuZ-DAFWkAAylbl.jpg
DjDR3xIWsAAIic0.jpg

These 2 are my regular glasses- the Teku for 330ml bottles, and the Moor glass for pints / 440ml. Before that I tended to use a Brewdog "Jackhammer" glass which is good for bottled IPA's.

Willi Becher pint glass is the best all rounder for me. Wish more pubs had them too.

Remember this Thread?

I hate quoting myself but since Posting the above, I discovered a superb glass in my local Aldi that holds well over a pint and can accommodate a 650ml bottle of beer!

View attachment 22464

So, the MCFC stein goes back on the shelf, the one litre heavyweights have gone to the local auction and SWMBO isn't allowed to touch the new glasses (I bought two).
MCFC They chucking in the bin sick...clapaglass looks great will have a look next time I am in there

I have the ones specially designed with an engraved swirl in the bottom inside made by arcoroc supposedly to promote head retention,do they work? Do they heck as like and rarely get used,I prefer a stemmed half pint glass as their ain't much time to lose the beers head between refilling and doesn't transfer body heat off your hands to the beer

I have glasses with "frosting" etched inside the bottom and it does generate bubbles. ((Nucleation is the word, I think). This should help maintain the head but, personally that does not bother me. All the other comments about good clean glasses are spot on.

Also the quality of the beer makes a big difference - a very thin beer loses its head quickly. Include a decent amount of crystal malt (or similar) and the head lasts much better.

Another type of glass I like to use is the double walled style sold for coffee. Nespresso used to make them in various sizes from espresso up to about half pint. There are several other makers of these glasses, e.g. Bodum. They keep beer cold just as well as keeping coffee hot. The small size is fine for me because I usually serve from a tap.

Back