I wonder how this will turn out?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've decided to have my first go at BIAB and decided to make a 1 gallon batch of wheat beer. The only problem; I didn't have any wheat malt so I decided to substitute it with pale malt.
So here's my recipe folks, how so you reckon it'll turn out?

Wheat or not?

Pale malt 454 grams
Bohemian Pilsner malt 230 grams
Munich malt 182 grams
Torrified wheat 90 grams
Melanoidin malt 36 grams

1.5 gr Centennial hops @ 60 mins
1.5 gr Centennial hops @ 30 mins
2 gr Amarillo hops @ 2 mins

Fermented using CML Hefeweizen yeast.
OG:- 1.064

I've decided to have my first go at BIAB and decided to make a 1 gallon batch of wheat beer. The only problem; I didn't have any wheat malt so I decided to substitute it with pale malt.
So here's my recipe folks, how so you reckon it'll turn out?

Wheat or not?

Pale malt 454 grams
Bohemian Pilsner malt 230 grams
Munich malt 182 grams
Torrified wheat 90 grams
Melanoidin malt 36 grams

1.5 gr Centennial hops @ 60 mins
1.5 gr Centennial hops @ 30 mins
2 gr Amarillo hops @ 2 mins

Fermented using CML Hefeweizen yeast.
OG:- 1.064

It looks to me like it will be a sort of US IPA type sort of a beer. Sorry to disappoint, but you would need more wheat for a wheat beer.

As to what it will be like - it will be great. Just don't rush it, as at 1.064, this is going to be a fairly substantial brew.

It looks to me like it will be a sort of US IPA type sort of a beer. Sorry to disappoint, but you would need more wheat for a wheat beer.

As to what it will be like - it will be great. Just don't rush it, as at 1.064, this is going to be a fairly substantial brew.

I won't rush it, as long as it tastes OK I'll be chuffed

I'd up the hops a lot. Make it more of a US IPA. Whack some in at flameout and chill after a short steep.

Bottled it last night and it came out at 1.010, looking forward to trying it
20171118_172642.jpg

Latest posts

Back