Wilko 20 pint starter brew kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longhead23

Reaction score
Hi All, being new I am lacking confidence and need advice. The instructions, which are a little sketchy, suggest leaving one corner of the provided FV loose. I just want to confirm this. How do I leave this loose, yet not contaminate the wort?

Also, if I need to test the OG, which I understand I do, how do I transfer from the FV to the testing tube? I assume a syphon, but with an FV with a tap, this is the only way I can imagine.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Hi,

If its one of the bucket and snap on lid jobs- the gas will find a way out without having to leave it loose. I put an airlock on mine for last couple of brews and it barely bubbles! To grab a sample for readings I tend to sterilize a plastic ladle and jug, popping the lid open and shut as quickly as possible, to fill the hydrometer tube.
steve

Put the lid on but don't clip it tight all the way round. The pressure will find its way out without you having to leave a huge gap. I gave up on airlocks as unless the FV is airtight it won't work. Fine for demijohns, but not a bucket.

If you haven't got a tap then a ladle or turkey baster, as above. Just make sure they are sterile.

Back